FYI: Comments on Nexus are locked

Tannin

Question

I just locked the comments section on Nexus because again, bugs are reported there but very few bother to post them on the issue tracker.

Consistently I ask that you don't report bugs HERE except to warn other users about consequences but even then, of course, the bug also needs to be posted on the issue tracker. If a bug isn't on the issue tracker I do not know about it.

7 answers to this question

To be fair, the majority of postings here and on the Nexus page aren't actually 'bugs' and when they are one or more of the more experienced users posts those onto the Bug Genie. Take for example the "issue" with the 'file doesn't exist' message. After a couple of posts were made, @DoubleYou posted it on the Bug Genie.

Do you really want that site filled with non-bug related issues. Most of the threads here are from users not understanding how to do things and incorrectly setup configurations or similar situations. Even now on the Bug Genie there are 'bugs' that aren't really bugs just user error.

Wouldn't it be better for your time to be on actual 'bugs' and not have to deal with these minor hiccups?

Just a thought, what ever you decide is fine by me. I just think the Nexus page and here can field most of the posts without you needing to worry too much about them. There are plenty around that can answer most of the raised 'issues'.

I understand the act of locking out the Nexus comments and the frustration it must cause you. If it helps to reduce the frustration I would like to volunteer testing any version of MO before it is released to the public. I am sure there are a few more people around that would volunteer also. I may not be able to code or write scripts, but I can surely put MO through its paces and report any bugs encountered.

I think most of the main STEPers would volunteer to test the beta/alpha versions. I have actually been meaning to ask if the Legacy Script Support mod that came out a while ago was something that might be in the next release of all us Fallout lovers. It makes everything installable by MO, even though there was only a couple mods that weren't before. 

EDIT: I hadn't even been on the nexus today to see that MO was updated. :/

I think most of the main STEPers would volunteer to test the beta/alpha versions. I have actually been meaning to ask if the Legacy Script Support mod that came out a while ago was something that might be in the next release of all us Fallout lovers. It makes everything installable by MO, even though there was only a couple mods that weren't before. 

As of version 1.2.15 it is now included.

To be fair, the majority of postings here and on the Nexus page aren't actually 'bugs' and when they are one or more of the more experienced users posts those onto the Bug Genie. Take for example the "issue" with the 'file doesn't exist' message. After a couple of posts were made, @DoubleYou posted it on the Bug Genie.

Do you really want that site filled with non-bug related issues. Most of the threads here are from users not understanding how to do things and incorrectly setup configurations or similar situations. Even now on the Bug Genie there are 'bugs' that aren't really bugs just user error.

Wouldn't it be better for your time to be on actual 'bugs' and not have to deal with these minor hiccups?

Just a thought, what ever you decide is fine by me. I just think the Nexus page and here can field most of the posts without you needing to worry too much about them. There are plenty around that can answer most of the raised 'issues'.

For a user it is often hard to determine what is a bug and what isn't. To me it seems the "bug isn't reported because user doesn't recognize it as such" is almost as frequent as the "non-bug is reported".

Closing a report when it isn't one takes me only a moment (although I do realize it may be annoying to the reporter that the time to write it down was wasted).

But finding out that there is a bug which was known to users but never reported is annoying as hell. It may take considerably longer to find because the "context" in which the bug appeared (the first version it showed up or maybe changes on nexus) is harder to narrow down and I may be forced to change my release-plans because I want the bugfix out asap.

That could then lead to features being released that haven't been tested enough and more bugs in the wild then necessary.

In short: I'd rather have too many bugfixes than too few.

If experienced users were to visit the issue tracker and see if they can clear up some of the reports that would of course be very helpful too. Your (and DoubleYous and others) efforts on the issue tracker (i.e. confirming fixes) are highly appreciated. 

If anyone is interested in taking a bit more responsibility on the issue tracker I can of course also give you some additional rights, so you can confirm or reject issues directly.

The issue tracker can be moderated just like a forum, it's merely a better way of gathering and presenting the current state of an issue.

The problem with tracking "issues" on a forum is that it's very hard to communicate when the issue is gone. I frequently get messages saying "I heard there is a bug in MO so I applied this workaround and now things are broken" when in reality the bug has been fixed a long time ago and the workaround is obsolete.

People will go to this forum, read about an issue and follow the guide to fix it without verifying the problem even exists any more.

Happens. All. The. Time.