No Overwrite entry/mod

dannyodare

Question

Hi,

I've just started modding the Skyrim Legendary Edition using the STEP guide. I've successfully installed & configured all the utilities/extenders and done all the INI tweaks (or so it seems). However, when it comes to 'Clean the update ESM' (with TES5Edit), I appear to have hit a slight problem. According to the guide: "After cleaning, there shall be files in Overwrite (essentially a fake mod located at the bottom of the left pane if sorted by priority ascending) created by TES5Edit. Right-click Overwrite and select Create Mod".

But I do not have an Overwrite entry in the left pane, though MO warns me that "there are files in your Overwrite mod" and gives me the following advice: "It is advisable you empty the Overwrite directory by moving those files to an existing mod. You can do this by double-clicking the Overwrite mod and use drag&drop to move the files to a mod. Alternatively, right-click on Overwrite and create a new regular mod from the files there."

Unfortunately, I cannot see or find the Overwrite entry/mod in MO - though I do have an Overwrite folder in my MO directory: ie, Mod Organizer\overwrite\TES5Edit Backups (and in the latter folder there is a file called 'update.esm.backup'. Any idea what the problem is and how I can fix it?

Here are my specs: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) \ Intel Core2 Duo E6750 \ Abit IP-35 Pro \ 4gb Corsair Twin2X2048 XMS Xtreme Performance (800mhz) \ Gigabyte Windforce GTX660 2GB OC \ Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer.

Thanks,

DANNY 

Edited by dannyodare

10 answers to this question

Eventually found it, but I've just realised that (stupidly) I did not make a backup of Update.esm from <skyrim>/data directory - is this going to be a problem? Also, what exactly does this mean - "each subsequent time TES5Edit is used to edit a file, open Overwrite and drag the TES5Edit Backups back to this mod"? I currently have nothing in my Overwrite folder, so a step-by-step idiots' guide to how I do this would be really appreciated ::): Also, the guide says: "The Cleaned Update ESM mod should be placed at the top of Mod Organizer's left pane" - does that mean it should have the lowest or highest priority?

EDIT: Damn, I think I've really screwed up re: cleaning the Dawnguard.esm. Once again, I didn't make a copy of the original Dawnguard.esm - then the guide says this: "Locate the TES5Edit Backups mod created during the Update.esm cleaning process. Double-click Overwrite to open it. Drag the TES5Edit Backups folder from Overwrite to the TES5Edit Backups mod". Now I'm totally confused. I don't have anything in my Overwrite folder - but my Mods directory looks like this: mods\TES5Edit Backups\TES5Edit Backups, and in that last folder I have three files ('Dawnguard.esm.backup' x 2 and 'Update.esm.backup'. Just for the record, in the FIRST TES5Edit folder there is a folder called 'Textures' (empty) and a file called called 'Meta.ini'. Any idea what is going on?  

Regards,

DANNY 

Edited by dannyodare

I did not make a backup of Update.esm from <skyrim>/data directory - is this going to be a problem?

Should not be as long as it is in the MO mods. If you ever verify game cache in steam it will be downloaded again.

Also, what exactly does this mean - "each subsequent time TES5Edit is used to edit a file, open Overwrite and drag the TES5Edit Backups back to this mod"?

The next time TES5Edit is run it will create a back up of the file being edited. Rirgt click the mod in the left pane and select open in explorer. Double click the overwirte folder and you can drag the folders and files to the explorer window. Make sure the window is off the MO left pane to avoid dropping files into an different mod.

Also, the guide says: "The Cleaned Update ESM mod should be placed at the top of Mod Organizer's left pane" - does that mean it should have the lowest or highest priority?

When the left pane is sorted by priority and zero is at top that it will be lower than all the rest of the mods.

"When the left pane is sorted by priority and zero is at top that it will be higher than all the rest of the mods" - but I thought the mod with the highest number had the highest priority? If the Cleaned Update ESM is at the top of the list then it will have the lowest priority (ie, zero). 

Edited by dannyodare

Have to admit, I'm still baffled by the cleaning Dawngaurd.esm process. The guide says "double-click Overwrite to open it and drag the TES5Edit Backups folder from Overwrite to the TES5Edit Backups mod", and you say: "Rirgt click the mod in the left pane and select open in explorer. Double click the overwirte folder and you can drag the folders and files to the explorer window" - but I do not have anything in my Overwrite folder, so how do I do this? (Indeed, I have two TES5Edit folders).

I'm missing the obvious, no doubt, but if you (or someone else) can talk me through the process again that would be great ::):

Edited by dannyodare

"When the left pane is sorted by priority and zero is at top that it will be higher than all the rest of the mods" - but I thought the mod with the highest number had the highest priority? If the Cleaned Update ESM is at the top of the list then it will have the lowest priority (ie, zero). 

Keep in mind this instruction is talking about the 'Left pane'. The actual cleaned Update.ESM file still needs to be activated in the 'Right pane'.

All you are doing in this process is making another mod that also contains the Update.ESM, this cleaned one is used in place of the existing vanilla one. Technically it makes no difference where "in the Left pane" this mod goes as there are no other plugins or assets that are overwritten by it or that it overwrites. Placing it at the top is more of a mental reminder for the user.

The 'Left pane' lists mods, these may or may not contain plugins (esp/esm files). The order of this pane determines which assets get overwritten or themselves overwrite.

The 'Right pane' lists the actual plugins, either from vanilla or mods. The order in which these are enabled/activated is critical. As with the placement of vanilla plugins your cleaned versions take their position at the top.

As for your TES5Edit Backups folder. It sounds like you have made the 'TES5Edit Backups' mod but on each subsequent TES5Edit session instead of dragging the TES5Edit Backups folder from the 'Overwrite' folder, you need to expand that TES5Edit Backups folder and drag only the edited plugins to your newly created 'TES5Edit Backups' mod.

Just for the record, in the FIRST TES5Edit folder there is a folder called 'Textures' (empty) and a file called called 'Meta.ini'. Any idea what is going on?

These are most likely from the installation and/or running of a mod or tool prior to your using TES5Edit. It is important to clear the 'Overwrite' folder, either by simply deleting the contents or moving them to the correct mod.

If there are extra files/folders in it, when you right-click "Create a new mod" these extras will be added.

Opening that meta.ini file in a text editor (Notepad or similar) will give you details of which mod created it. It will look something like:

[General]
modid=3222
version=3.0.0.0
newestVersion=3.0.0.0
category="17,"
installationFile=Immersive HUD v3-3222-3-0.rar
ignoredVersion=
notes=
nexusDescription="[color=cyan]What is iHUD?[/color]

Whatever the contents are they should be safe to delete as they will not be needed in you TES5Edit Backups.