Mod Organizer Categories

hellanios

Question

8 answers to this question

The edits you make are stored in categories.dat in the ModOrganizer folder. Remove that and you will be back at square one. You will lose all your edits though. No way to do it from MO as far as I can tell.

I tried it but nothing changed. Something tells me there's no other way but to reinstall the mods.  ::P:

If you want ALL your files to show the default categories then close down MO and do as GSDFan instructed.

If you only want SOME files to revert to default then do as I suggest.

Keep in mind, deleting categories.dat doesn't change the assignment of a category for a specific mod IF the category you changed it to exists in the default list.

e.g.

ModA has the default category assignment of 'Visuals' but you assign it 'Overhauls' (also in the default). If you delete the *.dat file ModA will still have the same assignment since the 'Categories' haven't changed. If, on the other hand, you give a new category of 'Awesomeness' deleting the *.dat file will make a change because that category doesn't exist anymore.

Categories.dat is the listing of categories for ALL mods. If you want to change the category outside of MO then you need to look to the meta.ini file in the installed mod's folder. Each mod has one of these and in it is a line like:

category="11," In this case 11 = 'Items'

Edited by GrantSP

If you want ALL your files to show the default categories then close down MO and do as GSDFan instructed.

If you only want SOME files to revert to default then do as I suggest.

Keep in mind, deleting categories.dat doesn't change the assignment of a category for a specific mod IF the category you changed it to exists in the default list.

e.g.

ModA has the default category assignment of 'Visuals' but you assign it 'Overhauls' (also in the default). If you delete the *.dat file ModA will still have the same assignment since the 'Categories' haven't changed. If, on the other hand, you give a new category of 'Awesomeness' deleting the *.dat file will make a change because that category doesn't exist anymore.

Categories.dat is the listing of categories for ALL mods. If you want to change the category outside of MO then you need to look to the meta.ini file in the installed mod's folder. Each mod has one of these and in it is a line like:

category="11," In this case 11 = 'Items'

Well, I changed them using the way you told me. I think it's all good. One thing I noticed is that some mods although they should be categorized by MO (e.g. SkyUI),they don't.

I have found the automatic assigning of categories to be a bit flaky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Haven't really put too much attention to it as really that sort of thing is best done on a "user preferred" basis.

If you get all your mods assigned as you like it it is a simple thing to keep track of newly installed mods and assign them as you see fit.

Likewise with the meta.ini files. Sometimes they get their details right from Nexus, sometimes they don't.

In the scheme of things I would rate those sort of issues really low for attention by Tannin, MO's creator.