CTD @ Logo

grallonsphere

Question

Last play through I ended up lvl 80, killing the Ebony Warrior with a few explosive bolts and a few swing of my 400 hit Katana so I decided to reinstall the whole thing afresh. 

Well I've spent the last 10-12 days stabilizing this new setup and I keep CTD-ing at the logo *even* if loading in TES5Edit shows no errors, *even* when LOOT sorts everything out without errors (unless it's the Belethor fix which to this day remains necessary), even when Wrye Bash has only little green boxes ticked and the rebuilt bashed patch is green and ticked as well.  I also have meta rules in place in LOOT according to STEP and whatever else LOOT tells me.  When prompted I chose to 'fix it' in MO after it told me such and such mods needed to be ordered in a specific way.  And yes I'm aware of the limitations (170 active - 181 total).  I wanted everything neat and proper before installing SkyRe, it's gazillion patches, SUM and the ReProccer. 

I was able to launch at 103 active - after the Sound section of the STEP checklist + Alternate Life.  I basked in the glory of the new ASLAL setup - hearing that mad wizard/necromancer speak in the background.  So I thought alright this is all stable now and I went on to the Gameplay section - which is the heaviest.  I haven't been able to launch since.  I have merged a number of mods, before and after that point, including the patches for Even Better Quest Objectives - which is my last hope.  I think they were merged in a certain order and LOOT keep ordering the masters in a different order - despite the meta rules.  And still Wrye Bash keep listing it as green.  I think I will reinstall that mod - re-extract the BSA and merge them according to the listed order.  But otherwise I am stomped.

And more importantly I am getting withdrawal syndrome!

3 answers to this question

This will nearly impossible to troubleshoot with what you provided. I'd suggest getting STEP installed and working 100% before adding in anything extra (which from your description you have at least a few non-STEP mods).

If you're missing masters MO will tell you with a big red warning icon that is hard to miss in the plugin pane.

No MO doesn't tell me.  I feel I'm running in circles.  LOOT does not report any errors, TES5Edit doesn't jam at any point so obviously there are no conflicts, yet Wrye Bash shows me little boxes in orange that tells me Masters for particular plugins aren't organized properly.  I reorganize them there - rebuild the patch - exit and get a warning from MO that 'there seem to be a problem with the load order' - I chose 'FIX IT' - launch the game - CTD.  I get back into Wrye Bash - the corrections I had made have been unmade - the previously green boxes are back to orange...  Rinse and repeat.  What exactly is the progression order of these tools?  Is it 1st LOOT - the Wrye Bash - or is it the other way around?!  And the 'load order problem' is it in the plugin pane (right) or the mod pane (left)?

Yes I did add some mods in the prescribed STEP progression order - some mods which I feel are essential to any Skyrim playthrough - like Alternate Life, like Complete Crafting Overhaul, like 3DNPC, like Climates of Tamriel (since I don't run any ENBs), like TK Children...  And there are things I don't care for in the STEP steps - like the Frost Astronach patch for instance.

But I had all of those in my last playthrough - which brought me to lvl 80 and with 234 mods active!  Mind you there were items missing in that one - the lvld lists weren't accurate, my crafting stations didn't show all the potential jewels (missing the Dwarven or Elven jewels or Daedric) for instance.  I used to mix the STEP steps with my favorite mods (see above) but until this time I had never bothered with the Bashed Batch. 

Hell I even tried launching without the BPacth - CTD again.

And so I'm a bit discouraged to say the least.  It seems I had far less troubles when I mismatched stuff using BOSS and NMM and without Wrye Bash - but no doubt it's me who's missing an essential logical link. 

So should I erase everything, follow scrupulously the STEP steps and add only those mods I deem 'essential' after the last of the Gameplay section mods?  But then again there's no guarantee all this extra work will produce any kind of positive results is there?

Doing it that way you are going in circles.

Always run LOOT from MO before using WRYE. Don’t use WRYE for anything other than creating your bashed patch.

Do make note of any mod ESPs that are orange and write them down when in WRYE. Exit WRYE and start TesEdit, right click on the mods and select none. In the top edit field enter the first ESP name that was orange and put a check in the box next to it in the lower list and click OK. When the finished message appears, right click on the last ESP and select sort masters. When that finishes close out to TesEdit, make sure that only the ESP you sorted is checked and OK all the way out.

Also if you add, remove or otherwise change the load order of ESPs you may have to do this all over again.

No need to erase anything unless you feel that a mod did not install properly. Just disable all of them and use the STEP guide from the beginning and move mods in the left pane in the order that STEP provides and activate as you go.