A Suggested Edit to the Guide - ATTN: Neovalen

Hi,

I've begun making my way through your guide, and so far, it's very well-written.  However, when using the DDSopt tool to optimize the vanilla textures per the guide's instructions, I ran into a problem.  I didn't discover this problem until I had a look inside this topic.  The problem was that each folder I created during the process (Vanilla Optimized, Dawnguard Optimized, etc) contained nothing but BSA files.  Apparently, you're supposed to end up with loose files!

One of the replies in that topic was able to clear up what I did wrong so I could go about it the right way this time, but in light of that, I have a suggestion.  You may want to edit the instructions in your guide to be more clear and concise as to how the process is done, and what the end result should be.  This way, nobody runs into this problem in the future.  

Might I suggest something like this for your DDSopt instructions instead of what's currently there?

1) Open the DDSopt tool.  *Note: DO NOT run this through Mod Organizer.  DO run this as an Administrator.*

2) In DDSopt click the [browse] button near the top text-box and select the "Skyrim - Textures.bsa" file in the SkyrimData folder.

3) Navigate to Mod Organizer's mod directory (for example: C:Program Files (x86)Mod OrganizerMods) and create a new folder named "Vanilla Optimized."

4) In DDSopt click the [browse] button near the bottom text-box and find the folder you just created.  Select it, clear the "File Name" text-box, then click [use Folder].  *Note: DO NOT forget to clear the "File Name" text-box.  DO NOT click [save].  Doing so will output the optimized files into a BSA file instead of loose files.  Your "Vanilla Optimized" folder should contain a folder named "Textures" with a bunch of sub-directories containing DDS files.  If you have a BSA, you did it wrong!)

5) Check the "Show Recursive" box below the center text-box.

6) Click the red [X] to deselect all files.

7) In the center text-box, type ".dds" and then click [Apply].

8) Click the green checkmark to select all filtered files.

9) Clear the center text-box and click [Apply].

10) Click the [Process] button in the bottom right corner and wait for the process to complete.

11) Verify in your "Vanilla Optimized" folder that you have only a folder named "Textures," containing sub-directories filled with DDS files.  You should NOT have a BSA.

Let me know what you think, please!  As I said, your guide is very well-written.  But, in light of the mistake that I and the creator of the aforementioned linked topic made, a change may prove beneficial to others in the future.   ::):

Edited by ADD1CTED_GAM3R

I have never encountered this problem, it may be that I interpreted the instructions differently but have never had a .bsa as the output file. Are you sure you set up DDSOpt properly as per the prerequisites including the .ini file?  ::):

Yes, I'm sure.The problem was that I (and the creator of the topic I linked in my post) didn't click the "Use Folder" button in the window that pops up when you choose where to save the output. If you click "Save," you need to have a name for the file in the "File Name" box, and it will save it as a BSA file. What you actually want is for everything to be extracted and optimized to the folder without creating a BSA.  

In my opinion, it's an easy mistake to make.  That's why I posted this suggested change to the instructions.  Some people might think the current instructions are clear enough, and others might make the same mistake as I, and apparently others, have made.

I can see what you mean now, the instructions to Use Folder are in the main DDSOpt guide which is linked to from SR:LE and where you get the settings from. It would probably be useful to have "then click Use Folder" added onto the instructions in the SR guide though as many users learn to use the modding tools from SR rather than the STEP guides.

::):

I can see what you mean now, the instructions to Use Folder are in the main DDSOpt guide which is linked to from SR:LE and where you get the settings from. It would probably be useful to have "then click Use Folder" added onto the instructions in the SR guide though as many users learn to use the modding tools from SR rather than the STEP guides.::):

I've been tempted of late to simply link to the STEP optimization instructions as they have had continual development since I made my own. Will see...

I can see what you mean now, the instructions to Use Folder are in the main DDSOpt guide which is linked to from SR:LE and where you get the settings from. It would probably be useful to have "then click Use Folder" added onto the instructions in the SR guide though as many users learn to use the modding tools from SR rather than the STEP guides.

Yeah, there's bound to be some confusion.  I'm proof of that.  ::P:

I've been tempted of late to simply link to the STEP optimization instructions as they have had continual development since I made my own. Will see...

Keep us posted!  ::):

There is always going to be confusion with DDSopt... it is just not the most intuitive program to use.... until you have actually used it. I just used it earlier today after about a year.. and it was like riding a bike. 

Granted I decided against doing the vanilla optimization this time around... since well most of the textures are going to be overwritten anyways so felt a bit redundant to do the entire process yet again. But I did want to have an extracted textures.bsa to cross reference with when I make my own stuff. 

I think all users should make use of the STEP guides before posting about issues, of course it doesn't hurt to ask and this is a very helpful site. People put a lot of time and effort into creating these how to guides and it worth the time put in to go through them first to find the answers we need and only ask questions when we can't find or fully comprehend the guide or section thereof.

That said when the guides for tools like DDSOpt first came out there was extensive use of jargon which made it difficult to understand the instructions and or information, there was much debate and tweaking that followed. SR came along and with its jargon lite approach helped me and I know many others to both understand and gain confidence using the variety of tools on offer for modding Skyrim - that has been an invaluable contribution to the community. It does not however replace the more in depth learning of going through the more complete and detailed guides, or watching the vids on YouTube.

All the key guides and videos are linked to from the SR page in the tools section at the start of he guide and perhaps apart from he odd tweak here and there (which have always been ongoing), the guide is as clear as can be and remains a fantastic resource.

Edited by Smile44

I think all users should make use of the STEP guides before posting about issues, of course it doesn't hurt to ask and this is a very helpful site. People put a lot of time and effort into creating these how to guides and it worth the time put in to go through them first to find the answers we need and only ask questions when we can't find or fully comprehend the guide or section thereof.That said when the guides for tools like DDSOpt first came out there was extensive use of jargon which made it difficult to understand the instructions and or information, there was much debate and tweaking that followed. SR came along and with its jargon lite approach helped me and I know many others to both understand and gain confidence using the variety of tools on offer for modding Skyrim - that has been an invaluable contribution to the community. It does not however replace the more in depth learning of going through the more complete and detailed guides, or watching the vids on YouTube.All the key guides and videos are linked to from the SR page in the tools section at the start of he guide and perhaps apart from he odd tweak here and there (which have always been ongoing), the guide is as clear as can be and remains a fantastic resource. ::):

I completely agree.  Making use of the guides provided is the smartest thing you can do.  

That said, I still feel adding something mentioning that you want to hit "Use Folder" instead of saving as a BSA is a good idea.  There's at least two people who have made that mistake and had to do the whole thing over; myself and the creator of the thread I linked to in my initial post here.  It's a simple change to the instructions that could prevent people from going through a lot of hassle and confusion when it's not needed.

This is just my $0.02 of course.  Everyone has theirs as well, and I respect that.  ::):

I just made this mistake because I wasn't aware of the "use folder" detail.  For noobs trying to overcome the technical difficulties of learning how to mod Skyrim properly I beseech you to add this detail into the guide.  I have spent way too much time trying to figure out what was supposed to be happening during the ddsopt part of neovalens guide.  It's the most confusing part of the entire guide and warrants a bit more explanation in my opinion.. along the lines of Addicted's comment that you will be unpacking the bsa's into loose folders.  Would be huge.

Edited by alocrius

I just made this mistake because I wasn't aware of the "use folder" detail.  For noobs trying to overcome the technical difficulties of learning how to mod Skyrim properly I beseech you to add this detail into the guide.  I have spent a way too much time trying to figure out what was supposed to be happening during the ddsopt part of neovalens guide.  It's the most confusing part of the entire guide and warrants a bit more explanation in my opinion.

I'm considering making a quick (very quick) video detailing exactly what needs to be done in order to complete the process right.  Just because I like to help, and I know words don't always cut it.

• +1 1