Failed to Locate skyrimprefs.ini

LusciousTim

Question

I've used NMM for a while, but I want use MO given its improved feature set.  However, I don't have administrator privileges on my computer, and whenever I try to run MO (the installer was run as an administrator), it gives me the message "failed to copy ini file: C:UserTheAdminDocumentsMy Gamesskyrimprefs.ini (The system cannot find the file specified. [2])"  I've checked the ModOrganizer.ini file and it doesn't seem like it has any influence on where MO tries to locate skyrimprefs.ini.  What can I do so that MO searches the correct path for my skyrimprefs.ini?

Thank you!

3 answers to this question

MO should work fine without administrator privileges as long as you don't install it in a restricted directory (i.e. Program Files). This problem may be unrelated.

First of all: Is this really the exact error message? Because "C:/User/TheAdmin/Documents/My Games/skyrimprefs.ini" doesn't seem right, skyrimprefs.ini should be located in .../My Games/Skyrim/skyrimprefs.ini

Also: Have you ever started Skyrim before? MO tries to copy your settings to its profile, if you have never started the game before that can't work because Skyrim hasn't been set up yet.

MO should work fine without administrator privileges as long as you don't install it in a restricted directory (i.e. Program Files). This problem may be unrelated.First of all: Is this really the exact error message? Because "C:/User/TheAdmin/Documents/My Games/skyrimprefs.ini" doesn't seem right, skyrimprefs.ini should be located in .../My Games/Skyrim/skyrimprefs.iniAlso: Have you ever started Skyrim before? MO tries to copy your settings to its profile, if you have never started the game before that can't work because Skyrim hasn't been set up yet.

You are correct.  I transcribed the path wrong; it should have said "C:UserTheAdminDocumentsMy GamesSkyrimskyrimprefs.ini (which skyrimprefs.ini does not exist in)."  I've definitely started Skyrim before, but like DoubleYou said, I may not have used the official SkyrimLauncher.  I'll try doing that.

EDIT: ran SkyrimLauncher, entered into one of my saved games to make sure it worked, then restarted.  Fresh install of MO, same error message as last time.  "failed to copy ini file: C:UserTheAdminDocumentsMy GamesSkyrimskyrimprefs.ini (The system cannot find the file specified. [2])"

EDIT numero dos: ran MO again, everything works just fine!  Thanks for helping me out, everyone!

Edited by LusciousTim