Failed to write to C:/games/MO/profiles/A/skyrimprefs.ini

syzygy

Question

I screwed up and have gotten stuck trying to fix it.

Error: Failed to write to c:/games/MO/profiles/A/skyrimprefs.ini

This occurs in two profiles out of 3.

How I got here:

Everything was fine. No problems at all.

I tried to run TES5Edit (from MO) and got the message: "Fatal: Could not open registry key: SOFTWAREBethesda SoftworksSkyrim This can happen after Steam updates, run game's launcher to restore registry settings".

I started the launcher and realized that I had downloaded a Steam Mod so it would be loaded through MO, but forgot to unsubscribe to it. I force-closed the launcher, unsubscribed the mod through Steam and started the launcher to make sure it would be ok. Not quite- Options and Data were greyed out. I tried "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" and got the error "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired". It didn't- each time I check the validate again, I get the same error. Reseach suggested "delete Steam/appcache/appinfo.vdf and restart Steam". Did that, when I ran the Launcher through Skryim, I could access those two options- that one time. However, I'm back to greyed out options when I run Launcher again. Launcher is always being run through MO.

Trying to fix it, I tried to go into skyrimprefs.ini- however, I can't save that file. If I go to the default profile (which I'm not using), I can save skyrimprefs.ini. If I go to the third profile, I can't save it. I can save skyrim.ini in all profiles. I also tried manually copying out the skyrimprefs.ini file and pasting in a new one. No change in errors.

So:

• I can play the game.
  • Everything is up to date- skyrim, MO, Steam.
  • I'm still getting the verify error, greyed out Options/Data, and can't save skyrimprefs.ini
  • Still getting TES5Edit error.
  • skyrimprefs.ini and skyrim.ini are attached as .txt

It looks like all these problems are being caused by one thing, but I can't figure out what that is. I've looked all over for a solution, but no luck. I hope that someone here can help me.

Thanks.

Hmmm... can I uninstall and reinstall Steam without affecting MO? Would that fix the Steam error- which might fix the rest?

skyrimprefs and skyrim ini.txt

Edited by syzygy

Noz, at this point, I really hope not. Can that be set in MO? I didn't see it.

Later: Nope, that's not it. Permissions on skyrimprefs.ini are that all can modify (the same as skyrim.ini).

Edited by syzygy