Hardware: Drawing tablets etc.

Aiyen

As the name title suggests then the topic is drawing tablets. 

Since I see myself going more and more the way of being creative in the future, then I think it might be worthwhile trying to get some of the fancy accessories which might help out. 

However I got just about no clue what so ever about what is in up, or down in this world. And while I am most likely going to read like a million pages of review and technical documentation eventually I figured it would be a good idea to start a little debate here! :) 

So if any of you out there have some of these fancy apparatus yourself then let me know your experience and the pro´s and con´s etc. 

Well all of the designers I know either use Wacom Intuos or Bamboos (if they haven't been doing it as long) a few have touch screen laptops or else turn a crap-pad into one once they inevitably decide it's completely useless as a tablet.

I have one of these (the version from 5 years back or so)https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/CTH300K/I also have one of these (again the equivalent and these seem to have taken a leap in price)https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/CTH680/My friends favor the above or if they use it daily(especially if it's their job) and/or really have a knack for using the tablet (I don't pen and paper produces better results for me) the following.https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/CTH680/https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/PTH851/If I have to use one unless I can't avoid it I'll use the small or medium versions; the large ones are kind of cumbersome to find a place where it's comfortable to use and that has enough room to set it on.

So far it seems that the main issue with many of these is that one kinda needs to get a feel for the different specs. Like what does the difference between

2540 and 5080 lpi mean physically for my hand. Same with pressure sensitivity. 

Overall I am fairly certain that I do not need to go pro model, since that would just be overkill for both my budget and my skill level. Also since I do plan on my baby girl to actually use it then I favor something in the smaller price range... since wear and tear will be larger. 

Guess I will have to try to see if one of the local tech shops actually have some test models up so I can get a feel for it... since ultimately that is what it comes down to I think. 

But thanks for the input phazer! Much appreciated. 

Aiyen - what country are you in? I will shortly have a Wacom Intuos4 Medium which will be available second-hand with its original packaging, all accessories and a spare surface and could come to an arrangement regarding shipping to, say, the EU. I am based in the UK.

No, it is not that one. Wacom rebranded their products recently. The current Intuos tablets were the Bamboo entry-level ones. The current Intuos Pro tablets were called the Intuos4 or Intuos5 and these are the professional ones.

The Intuos4 Medium that I have is this model... https://www.engadget.com/products/wacom/intuos4/medium/specs/

Since I have used it well for a couple of years, I would not be asking much for it at all and providing the postage costs were covered properly (and I could easily get a good estimate given an address via PM) I would just be happy to know it was going to be appreciated.

I expect to be in a position to purchase the replacement within a couple of weeks and can't let this one go before then.

It is tempting and something I will have to consider. I am in general not a huge fan of 2nd hand anything electronic.. I just love my warranty etc. 

But since I am low on money and it is a decent upgrade from the one I would be able to afford otherwise... then just perhaps I might make an exception. Will throw you a pm with some details. 

One thing I have not really found anything on is the endurance of the surfaces... in general how much punishment can they take? How hard can you press the pen etc. 

More specifically have anyone with kids had them use it without them destroying it by pressing too hard ? 

When the Intuos4 was first released, Wacom trialled a new "paper-like" surface that gave the pen the feeling of being on a textured surface. While it appealed to traditional artists, the digital creators hated both the feel and the nib wear it caused. Wacom finally capitulated and offered a replacement, smoother surface and set of nibs to all original purchasers.

Intuos5 came with the new smoother surface as standard and I believe the current IntuosPro uses it too.

I still have the original Intuos4 textured surface fitted which is now completely smooth from use which I actually prefer. The replacement surface is still in its retail packaging and they can be fitted by the end user (peel up a corner of the old surface with a sharp knife and steadily pull it up, wipe clean, peel backing off new surface, line up one edge and press it into place).

The standard nibs are hard and will take quite a lot of wear but you can adjust the sensitivity in the drivers to adjust the pressure you need. They should be considered consumable but durable. The fancy nibs (sprung, felted etc) are less durable but I am STILL on the first standard nib I ever fitted and there are a good five or so left.

The pens themselves are plastic of course and in the interest of full disclosure I have repaired the button on this one once a year ago and it is still going strong. Replacement pens are available but are a bit pricey. The Wacom store will tell you. I am fairly sure the current IntuosPro pen will work on the Intuos4 but the store will confirm.

As I said... if the postage is covered, I am happy for you to give it a new home. If you later decide you want a new, warrantied tablet when you can afford one, just pass it on to another modder.

To be honest Aiyen if Daniel's offering you a good deal on it (half off or so) I'd just get his. Wacom makes their products quite well and sturdy. My Vector graphics instructor is still (by some miracle compatibility wise idk how) able to use her Wacom tablet from the 90's don't ask me how she did it driver wise (I actually said ******** when she told me but she pulled it out and plugged it in and...). I've been using both of mine for 5 years or better as I said and even after dropping them countless times they don't really look it.