Problem with "not dead" NPCs and also Companion bleedout

DanielCoffey

Question

I have no idea what I have messed up in my install but I have some issues with my current SR:LE play through that I have not seen before and I could use some help diagnosing the problems. The only deviations from the Guide are Arissa and the Breezehome Fully Upgradeable mods.

Issue 1 : uncommonly, NPCs such as Bandits will get stuck at 1HP after combat. They will go down and lie there "dead" but I can't loot them. I just see their health bar with what appears to be 1HP left and it doesn't regenerate. I saw it once on a Bandit Mage outside Embershard Mine. I killed him but could not loot the body. I left the mine for later and went on to Riverwood. When I returned to the mine the next day he was up on his feet, still on 1hp, but aggro as usual. It happened again today with another Bandit Mage in the hills near Helgen.

Issue 2 : Follower fails to rise from Bleedout. This happens every time. I have Arissa (v1.3) and when she enters bleedout on her knees, she then "dies" and falls over dead. The NPCs ignore her and turn to me but after the fight she does not get back up. She has no HP bar and appears dead. I can't loot or move her. She is supposed to be Essential. I suspect if I leave the area she will recover and track me down but I would like to sort it out.

Issue 3 : Faction - threatened by Stormcloaks. Although I have Alternate Start, I did the cart ride. When I encountered a Stormcloak Patrol after leaving Falkreath with Arissa, they were threatening to me - drawing and warning me to back off. I had no bounty and had done nothing to give rise to this behaviour. The Falkreath Guards are happy with me.

Edited by DanielCoffey

2 answers to this question

Issues 1 and 2:

This is NPC Knockout Overhaul. As the name implies it allows NPCs (even protected/essential) to be knocked unconscious instead of dead, including your followers. In order to loot you simply crouch/sneak then activate. To revive a fallen comrade either wait 30 minutes (I think game time...) or you can wake them up with a healing spell or a quick punch. Note that in next version you will need to either wait or use heal spell to wake a knocked out NPC. I suggest reading up on the NPC Knockout Overhaul page. The other option is to kill the NPC by hitting them again while they are down and then loot as normal.

MOD SUMMARY

An NPC is knocked out when...

[*]The NPC is hit with a sneak attack from a fist, mace, battleaxe or warhammer. [*]The NPC takes damage while in the bleedout state (this is when then NPC takes a knee). [*]The NPC stays in the bleedout state for too long and passes out from blood loss.

Once an NPC is knocked out you can...

[*]Push the body around by standing above the body and activating it. [*]Crouch down and loot the body without it being considered a crime or stealing. [*]Revive the NPC from knockout with a shout, healing spell, punch, etc. [*]Have a snack if you're a hungry vampire (requires Better Vampires). [*]Kill the NPC, if the NPC is not flagged as essential or protected.

The following NPC types can be knocked out:

[*]Men: Nords, Bretons, Imperials, Redguards [*]Mer: Altmer, Bosmer, Dunmer, Orsimer [*]Beasts: Argonians, Khajiit [*]Altered: Hagravens, Vampires, Werewolves, Werebears [*]Other: Dremora

The following NPC types are immune to knockout:

[*]Prey: Chickens, Cows, Deer, Dogs, Elk, Foxes, Fish, Goats, Horses, Mammoths, Netch, Rabbits [*]Predators: Ash Hoppers, Chaurus, Bears, Bristlebacks, Horkers, Mudcrabs, Sabre Cats, Skeevers, Spiders, Wolves [*]Monsters: Falmer, Gargoyles, Giants, Lurkers, Rieklings, Spriggans, Trolls, Wisps [*]Undead: Death Hounds, Dragon Priests, Draugr, Ghosts, Ice Wraiths, Skeletons [*]Other: Automatons, Dragons

Issue 3:

No idea on this, never had a problem with Stormcloaks hating me. Did you kill one of them or hit them by accident?

Ah, that is a relief - I wondered what it was caused by. Thanks!

It will add an interesting roleplaying twist... do I leave the bandit to recover and crawl away or do I kill him? Can I throw a Healing Tough at the Companion to revive them quickly?

I will have to check how NPCs are supposed to be killable since I had a damned good go at killing the two fallen Bandit Mages. I will read the mod and experiment next time.