Hardware (new Mobo/CPU) - need suggestions/help

rootsrat

Oh... so you already bought it? Well talk about jumping the gun I could have saved you a bit of dough. Also with Haswell you'll definitely need some kind of aftermarket cooling unless you like loud since they run almost as hot as some of the older AMDs.

Ooh, I forgot to wait for your input, Phaz! Do tell though, what would your suggestion be? I can always cancel the order and buy something else!

Brocken 2 ftw ^^ Attention! Your pc case need to be big enough for the cpu cooler you choose!

EKL Alpenföhn Brocken 2

or Thermalright HR-02 Macho

both ~36€

i think those two are enough. most better ones are much more expensive(and not worth it?)

(Stock cooler s**K)

another source of noise is the power supply. Choose a quality one with NOT too much power, or it will work with less efficiency.

Whoa! I am not trying to build a new PC here! 

BTW, I have ThermalTake Frio cooler, I learned long time ago not to use stock ones, unless I want equivalent of a jet engine in my room :)

My PSU is also ThermalTake, can't remember the model or wattage... Think it's 650W.

Honestly, everything runs hot as hell with stock cooler :P

Pretty much. Some good quality graphic cards can be really quiet. The one I have has 3 fans and honestly I can barely hear them most of the times. It's only when I manually set them to 100% speed I can hear them, but even then it's not that bad.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take it with grain of salt. I used memory rated faster than what the CPU allegedly supported on numerous occasions and it always worked. Of course, AMD might be a lot more pickier than Intel... I can't tell. Haven't touched AMD stuff (except for graphic cards) since 2003 :P

Edited by Octopuss

Ok, so it turns out that my Frio cooler is not compatible with my new mobo and it's slightly damaged (my bad, my hand slipped when I was installing it and 1 of the mounting screwes broke... so I superglued it -_- ) and if that's not enough, the rubber isolator seals fell apart from age. Yeeeah, do not buy this product, you've been warned.

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap cooling solution please?

I checked that Karen, it's awesome, but well expensive! I don't want to spend more than £30, £40 at most .

...Your pc case need to be big enough for the cpu cooler you choose!

EKL Alpenföhn Brocken 2

or Thermalright HR-02 Macho

both ~36€

i think those two are enough. most better ones are much more expensive(and not worth it?)...

Maybe those?(didn't checked if they fit your stuff :) )

Edited by Simondererste

Ok, so it turns out that my Frio cooler is not compatible with my new mobo and it's slightly damaged (my bad, my hand slipped when I was installing it and 1 of the mounting screwes broke... so I superglued it -_- ) and if that's not enough, the rubber isolator seals fell apart from age. Yeeeah, do not buy this product, you've been warned.Can anyone recommend a good, cheap cooling solution please?I checked that Karen, it's awesome, but well expensive! I don't want to spend more than £30, £40 at most .

Hmmm. Try CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO. It has unbeatable bang for the buck ratio. Later on you might spend a bit extra if you feel like the fan is lacking a little (be it loudness or performance), but it will cool unclocked CPU perfectly fine. Those heatpipes sitting directly on the CPU do wonders to heat transfer.

Edited by Octopuss

lol octo.. you would take the technical specifications with a grain of salt? :P 

Just because it works does not mean it is a good idea! 

Also I really wonder what type of stock coolers you have been working with. My current Intel one works like a charm keeping temps down below 40C and it does not even come close to sounding like a jet... or even remotely close to being able to compete with the case fans! 

As long as you do not OC then the stock cooler is certified to work.. if it does not you simply RMA to intel directly since then their factory QC made a mistake. 

I do not know if AMD´s stock coolers are worth much since I have not used AMD stock coolers.... ever. 

Also root.. just wow! Smashing up the stuff before you even put it together! :) 

I've seen enough Intel stock coolers in my life not to want one in my PC, ever. I'd rather piss on the CPU to cool it, lol. Of course it will work! But it's noisy as hell, and hot as well. That <40°C, that's when idle, right? That's pretty normal for any cooler :P

What CPU do you have? Newest stock cooler I tried came with my i7 3770K and it was just yuck.

Edited by Octopuss

Same model as you i7 3770k... and no it is not when idle... it is under load :P highest recorded temp here is 42C. And I do not have any noise issues from mine... relative to the other components. 

Guess I am one of the lucky ones then! 

Edit: Currently running at 34C idle... average case temp across all measured locations 38C with GPU exhaust spot being the hottest place as usual. I also expect it to be a bit less efficient now since it has been months since I did a proper fan cleaning indepth. But really just hope that it will survive until I can afford to get some water cooling installed.... eventually. 

dafuq? That's technically impossible :D I am serious. My CPU is delidded, the contact is perfect, and like I said, the heatpipes are directly touching the CPU. It's not even too hot right now, and the CPU is idling at roughly 37°C. That's with rather expensive (ok that's not a measure of quality) and really well performing Noctua fan instead of the default that came with the cooler.

Just out of curiosity, could you download HWiNFO and tell me what kind of temperature does it show you? (just download the portable version, and select "sensors only")

Edited by Octopuss

I have a 25cm giant fan of doom on my case side to constantly blow loads of nice air all over all components.. hence why the temperatures are lower... the smaller stock cooler is actually a benefit in this regard since it have almost no air flow obstruction at all. 

Also the motherboard thermal design is rather nice to. It diverts quite a bit of heat of it as well. Got an ASUS  Sabertooth one for reference. 

The single hottest area in the entire case is the GPU as it should be since it is mostly what is working anyways. 

Edit: Here a screen of my idle temp values. Did verify upon getting the board that they display properly.. hence measuring the temperature with an external probe at the locations of the sensors.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bef264l26vvzbbd/temp.jpg

Granted it has been a long while since I properly stress tested under full load... the 42C was from when it was new and I was setting the baseline for what I needed to do cooling wise. So these days I do expect that it could potentially get near 50C but still quite far from the 60C I do not want to get near.