Interior Anomalies...

...as in there aren't any interiors.

Clearly I've done something wrong, but I can't quite figure out what, so I'm hoping someone may have seen this before and offer a suggestion or two. I've been through the guide three times, so whatever I'm missing, I missing repeatedly.

My issue us that I have no interiors. Starting a new game with Alternate Start places me in a cell that has no walls - just an expanse of brown. In the distance, I can see two ghost actors, and there's a blue flame nearby. Nothing else is discernible, including my character at the character creation (all menus for RaceMenu ARE present, but there's no face present for editing).

If I just accept the default (invisible) character. I can COC to Riverwood. The exterior cells are amazing! (This is my first time using an ENB, and the detail is just amazing). I can see my character fine in third person mode. But if I enter, say Embershard mine, I have the same problem as with the cell in Alternate start. There are no walls or floor or celing, just an expanse of brown and some irregular details. I can see a torch, some wood trim around what should be a corridor, and a couple of NPC's running around through the void.

I've followed the guide, with three notable exceptions:

1) I actually started with STEP, and installed Revisted on top of that installation. Any time Revisted used the same mod, I reinstalled the mod in accordance with any special instructions from Revisited, and moved it to the a place lower on the load order. Basically, the load order goes like this:

Cleaned Vanilla ESM.s

Optimized texture for a DLC

Unofficial Patch for that DLC

Optimized texture for the next DLC

Unofficial Patch for that DLC

(etc)

>>>>>>>>>> (o)<<<<<<<<<<

All mods that STEP includes that Revisited does not, in the STEP order.

>>>>>>>>>> (o)<<<<<<<<<<

All the mods in Revisited, in the order indicated, with the options indicated, Bashed and Bossed and merged and cleaned where indicated.

The SR Conflict Resolution patch

Bashed Patch

>>>>>>>>>> (o)<<<<<<<<<<

2) I have deviated from Revisited in the following ways:

a) I've not installed Extensible Follower Framework. (though I haven't replaced it yet, I intend to give Simple Multiple Followers by Kuertee a try).

b) There are two Mods that STEP used that needed to be interspersed into the Revisted load order, or they would be overwritten completely. TreesHD and Hybrids HD Plants and Herbs. They've both been moved to after Skyrim Flora Overhaul.

c) Since I intend to use ETaC, I downloaded the Hearthfires Chimneys for ETac instead of the Revisted one - but I haven't actually activated it, since I don't have ETaC installed.

d) Any remaining STEP mods that were completely overwritten by Revisited I simply deactivated.

3) I installed Realistic Needs and Diseases (an old favorite).

Since I'm new to the whole ENB thing, I'm (naturally) assuming that I've done something wrong with mods devoted to interior lighting or the like. I DID try to be careful, but who knows?

post-527-0-50269800-1402512888_thumb.jpg

If you are using an ENB for the first time, please ensure you have your ini's and Skyrim options set correctly:

SETUP YOUR SKYRIMPREFS.INIbFloatPointRenderTarget=1bTreesReceiveShadows=1bDrawLandShadows=1bShadowsOnGrass=1

Turn off forced anti-aliasing and any AA in your Skyrim Advanced Options. 

dstansberry, on 11 Jun 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:dstansberry, on 11 Jun 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Thank you for your reply!

I've just re-verified the things you've mentioned, and they're set correctly in the .ini within ModOrganizer, and the Skyrim settings as well.

And your GPU Control panel's AA settings?

If you hit shift + F12 to disable the ENB USE Effects...does the rendering issue go away? 

Edited by Kuldebar

I didn't know I could do that! I'll try it right now!

As for the GPU's control panel, I'm using an NVidia GTX670, and I *think* I have AA turned off for Skyrim in NVidia inspector. The settings are a bit much to wade through (and frankly, I don't understand many of the options), so I may have it wrong.

Well, the invisible textures issue in regards to ENB's are pretty much related to the render target setting and anti-aliasing being forced by something outside the ENB.

So, if that truly isn't it, we need to confirm it's the actual ENB doing/causing this.

What happens when you load the game up without the ENB? (or use shift + F12 to toggle on/off)

As it happens, I think you were exactly right. On a lark, I turned on the AA settings in Skyrim, exited, restarted, turned them back off, exited, then started the game again from the SKSE launcher in MO, and voila! Perfectly functional interiors. Thanks very much for setting me on the right path!

Do you think I somehow managed to... disconnect(?) the settings in the ini from the game launcher, and turning it back on and off rewrote them back in? Either way, it works now, so thank you again! It's funny, I always thought Skyrim was beautifully done, but now it looks a little drab with the ENB turned off. I guess I just need to decide whether the pretty pictures are worth the extra 12-16 mod slots taken up by all the lighting, weather, and parallax mods! I wonder if any of them (aside from the ones mentioned in the guide) can be merged. Perhaps the ELE or ELFX patches?

(How did my font get so small...)

Edited by dstansberry
  • 2 months later...

I've just completed my re-install of SR, but I'm back to having trouble with interiors not being shown. It's pretty much the same as the original post, with a couple of small differences.

1) When I started up my game to make sure everything was working, I had the issue with the interior at the RaceMenu creation screen (no walls, just open sky and a partial wall, unable to see the character during creation, etc.

2) I remembered the advice given in this thread, and immediately checked the AA and AF settings in the vanilla game control panel, and sure enough, I'd forgotten to turn both of them off, so I did.

3) Reentering the game I found that things were a bit darker than I remembered, but at least everything was present. However, I noted a message in the upper left hand corner of the screen that said (paraphrasing here) "Hardware anti-aliasing detected. Some features are disabled" I'd never seen this message before.

4) My video card is an NVidia GTX670 with 4GB of RAM. I thought perhaps the "GeForce Experience" program was overriding my settings, so I exited it and restarted the game - only to find that I was back to square one - no interiors.

5) I recalled that the last time, changing my settings in the vanilla launcher, then changing them back again resolved the issue, so I gave that a try. Still no interiors.

6) I turned GeForce Experience back on, but it made no difference. Still no interiors.

7) A long time ago, I'd followed some instructions in STEP about using the NVidia inspector program to configure the video card to work with Skyrim, and I believe there may be some AA settings buried in there somewhere. However, I haven't touched that program in months, no longer have it installed, and it didn't seem to make any difference during my last couple of play-throughs.

8) When the warning indicated that some settings would be disabled, I thought perhaps there would settings in the enblocal.ini that had changed, so I compared it to the copy I have saved away for future installations. Both were identical (except for two changes SR instructed me to make using the edit button in ENB manager).

I'm hoping wiser minds than mine might be able to sort this out!

I did (in a round about way), by launching Skyrim through MO and turning the settings off in the options menu.

I think were I went astray was in the SR instructions, where it says to launch Skyrim through the Steam context menu, and then to change the AA and AF values. Now, an intelligent human being would probably immediately realize than, in so doing, the settings will already be there when MO creates its versions of the ini files, so there'd be no need to address it again. But for someone with moss growing where his brains used to be, that became an instruction on how to set it whenever the need arose.

All is better now. Thanks for your time and patience!