DDSopt can't(or won't) detect my BSA's

Halde

Question

Hi all!

So I wanted to try optimizing my textures. I followed the steps on STEP(duh) and now as I was getting started extracting my HiRes DLC's DDSopt couldn't find them in the Data directory. 

I suspect this might have something to do with the STEP recommended mod that is an optimized HiRes DLC, but I rationalised this away with the thought, that why would they tell me to extract something if it can't be extracted or already have been extractede by a mod they recommended.

~Sincerely

Halde

10 answers to this question

Did you look in the SkyrimData directory to see whether the HRDLC BSAs are actually there? When you looked for them after clicking the Browse button in DDSopt, did you change the file type in the lower right hand part of the window to "Bethesda Software Archive (*.bsa)" ?

Ah ok. So that's what I did wrong. It was my first time using DDSopt(I did check the folder to see if the files were there though), and that little detail wasen't mentioned in the guide. Or maybe I'm just a speciel kind of stupid.

I'll try that, thanks!

Edited by Halde

@Kelmych, since you seem to know somewhat a lot about this process, can you tell me what to with the "Update.bsa"? It is not mentioned in the STEP guide. Only the DLC, HiRes DLC and all the Skyrim .bsa is mentioned, but the "Update.bsa" is left out. Is this because it shouldn't be optimized at all?

EDIT: Another thing. My DDSopt keeps crashing. First I thought it was due to using a 64bit version(even though my system is 64bit) but then I switched to 32bit and the problem is persisting. It crashes when it loads some of the .bsa files. On this, it seems that it doesn't matter whether or not I use a 32bit version or 64bit version.

~Sincerely 

Halde

Edited by Halde

Update.bsa has no textures so there isn't anything to optimize. I'm not sure what to suggest for DDSopt crashing. Make sure you have the current version of Microsoft redistrutable C++ libraries, 64 bit version if you are using 64 bit DDSopt.

Thanks.

I managed to get through it:)

Well some of it. The "default" parameters refered to in the STEP guide: "These instructions assume that DDSopt is setup with the default parameters"

Are this the settings that were sat in the very beginning of the guide? The "screenshot guide" if you will? Or are the default parameters the ones the program open with? The ones you change in the "screenshot guide".

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt#tab=QUICK-START_GUIDE

~Sincerely

Halde

Edited by Halde