Freezing during combat and some transitions

madisonx

Question

Hey all. Built a nice new rig and have been trying heavily modded Skyrim for the first time. After lots of experimentation, I think I have things looking and playing the way I want. I started with STEP as a foundation, added in Realvision for ENB, plus plenty of gameplay mods like Frostfall, SkyRe, etc. It looks amazing and normally runs super smooth. However, it often freezes when combat starts, or during transitons. The combat freeze is the most common, but doesn't always occur. For example, I tried a few tests around Whiterun during the first Companions encounter. Sometimes the game would freeze, sometimes not. Freeze typically occurs as soon as a fight breaks out. Just had this happen again when a wolf or dog went after a Guard on the road. I've tried to troubleshoot and have followed some additional tips in some of the Nexus guides, but no luck. I've used BOSS, LOOT, TESVEdit, etc. Not seeing any major errors in any of those. The only solution I can think of at this point is to cut some mods since there may be too many scripts running. Really don't want to lose Frostfall or any other key mods though. Any ideas would be appreciated! My system:Windows 8.1Intel I7-4771 3.50 Ghz16 GB RAMNVIDIA GeForce GTX 770Skyrim installed to an SSD 

Skyrim.esmUpdate.esmUnofficial Skyrim Patch.espDawnguard.esmUnofficial Dawnguard Patch.espHearthFires.esmUnofficial Hearthfire Patch.espDragonborn.esmUnofficial Dragonborn Patch.espSkyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esmFalskaar.esmKet_ARMONIZER_v2.esmApachiiHair.esmmoonpath.esmApachiiHairFemales.esmClimatesOfTamriel.esmApachiiHairMales.esmJSwords.esmRaceCompatibility.esmLanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esmMagicDuelReborn.esmHighResTexturePack01.espHighResTexturePack02.espHighResTexturePack03.espUnofficial High Resolution Patch.espStaticMeshImprovementMod-FurnitureChestSnowFix.espmintylightningmod.espDawnguardRuneWeaponsFXSReplacer.espInsanity's Steel Shortsword.espvImmersiveBeds.espBFSEffects.espClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.espAuto Unequip Ammo.espLock Overhaul.espCharacterMakingExtender.espJSwords_Load_Screens.espChesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.espClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.espMoss Rocks.espTraps Make Noise.espfFastTravelSpeedMult_4.espConvenient Horses.espCoT-WeatherPatch.espSupreme Storms - Cot Version.espCoT-WeatherPatch_SupStorms.espCoT-WeatherPatch_Snow-40.espFalskaarDawnguard.espiHUD.espFootprints.espFootprints - Ash.espInsanity's Glass Sword.espCoT-WeatherPatch_DB.espBeards.espzzArmormashups.espPumpingIron.espBWS.espThe Bastard.espHothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.espHeadtracking.espDeadlySpellImpacts.espIHSS.espInsanity's Steel Bow.espdD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.espMore Salt Please - Dragonborn addon.espORM-Arvak.espLore Weapon Expansion - Goldbrand.espMagicDuelReborn - Shouts.espDragonShoutVoice.espInsanity's Daedric Sword.espMoss Rocks_DB.espAppropriately Attired Jarls Redux.espHearthfireMoveKidsfix.esp83Willows_101BUGS_V4_HighRes.espShootingStars.espInsanity's Zatoichi.espRaceMenuPlugin.espvImmersiveBeds - HFDG.espRainbows.espThieves Guild Requirements.espCoT-WeatherPatch_NL3.espBrows.espRaceMenu.espSMDropLitTorch.espSkyUI.espSoul Gems Differ - E.espSkyRe_Main.espAnimated Weapon Enchants.espGuard Dialogue Overhaul.espADS.espSkyRe_Survivalism.espDual Wield Parrying_SKSE.espThe Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.espThe Stamford.espThe Thegn.espTimingIsEverything.espRun For Your Lives.espTimingIsEverything_RunForYourLives_Patch.espWarmongerArmory_Vanilla.espWarmongerArmory_DLC.espWeapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.espImproved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.espImmersive Weapons.espLore Weapon Expansion.espInsanity's Silver Bow.espInsanity's Iron Bow.espInsanity's Glass Bow.espSkyRe_EnemyScaling.espOBIS.espRealistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.espRealistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.espRealistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp3DNPC.espNPC_Overhaul_V_1_.espKet_WEAPONIZER.espTradeBarter.espActualize Apparel.espRealisticWaterTwo.espRealisticNeedsandDiseases.espMore Salt Please.espRadiant and Unique Potions Poisons and Booze.espFalskaarRNDHotfix.espRND_USKP-Patch.espWatercolor_for_ENB_RWT_RND.espdynamic fires.espRealistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Interiors.espExplosiveBoltsVisualized.espSkyrimCoinReplacerRedux.espRLO - Major City Exteriors - No Guard Torches.espRealistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Town Interiors.espUndeath.espClamsDropPearls.espDistant DetailHF.espBring Out Your Dead.espHothFollower.espHothFollower UFO Patch.espNonEssentialChildren.espSkyRe_EncounterZones.espHothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.espOblivion Gates v3 - Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC.espEMCompViljaSkyrim.espEnhancedCharacterEdit.espEMViljaInSolstheimAddOn.espOblivion Gates v3 without Markers - Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC.espBirdsHFclean.espSilverDragonArmor.espRealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.espRND_Dawnguard-Patch.espRND_Dragonborn-Patch.espUnique Uniques.espInsanity's Dragonbane.espInsanity's Pale Blade.espInsanity's Red Eagle's Bane.espInsanity's Kahvozein Fang.espWarmongerArmory_LeveledList.espCloaks.espRiversideLodge.espLore Weapon Expansion - Daedric Crescent.espTheChoiceIsYours.espBloodWitchArmor.espStaticMeshImprovementMod.espSPTConsistentOlderPeople.espKet_ARMONIZER_LListsNPC.espOBISDB.espPoint The Way.espmoonpath_questdata.espJSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.espSkyrimImprovedPuddles-DG-HF-DB.espThird Era - Dwemer.espWetandCold.espWetandCold - Ashes.espWhen Vampires Attack.espaMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.espdD - Enhanced Blood Main.espImproved Combat Sounds v2.2.espdD-No Spinning Death Animation.espimp_helm.espimp_guard_helm.espimp_helm_dawn.espimp_helm_imp.espimp_help_dbrn.espkonahrik_accoutrements.espbathhouse.espPopulated Cities 2.espRabbitsPlus.espSkyRe_StandingStones.espChesko_Frostfall.espDungeonQuestAwareness.espRND_HearthFires-Patch.espSkyRe_Races.espMasterTheTimeAndSpaceTOGGLE.espSkyrimChimneysRW.espBandit Patrols.espSkyRe_EnemyAI.espSkyrim Flora Overhaul.espThe Fifth Gate.espThe Pit.espCampingKitNorthernRanger.espNoxUE2.00.espArs Metallica.espDr_Bandolier.espArs Metallica - Dawnguard.espCloaks - Dawnguard.espArs Metallica - Hearthfire.espArs Metallica - Dragonborn.espStaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.espgonkishvampdens.espMECR_Classic_Nord_Shields.espCompanionArissa.espInsanity's Shields.espmanny Lantern Caretakers.espBLESSINGS - Altar Descriptions.espElemental Staves.espPilgrimsDelight.espThe Paarthurnax Dilemma.espHunterborn.espHunterborn_RND-Patch.espHunterborn_Frostfall-Patch.espHunterborn_Dawnguard-Patch.espkonahrik_accoutrements_db.espkonahrik_accoutrements_SkyRe.espmoveitLWT.esprace+.espMzarkWonders.espAethernautics.espHearthfireBasements.espBlockSparkles.espGildergreen Regrown.espSkyRe_Combat.espApocalypse - The Spell Package.espPortal.espDead Body Collision.espApocalypse - SkyRe Compatibility Patch.espTheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.espKnight Of Thorns Armor.espMedusa and Drakul Armors.espApachiiHelmetWigs.espChesko_Step418_SN.espContractor Armor.espEvil MasterMind Armor.espInsanity's Ice Blade of the Monarch.espMavari Armor.espReal Clouds.esprandomthunder.espAlternate Start - Live Another Life.espReProccer.esp

Edited by DoubleYou
added spoiler tags

4 answers to this question

Does this stutter/hesitation occur when the ENB is disabled?

If not, when you installed Realvision, did you set the maximum VRAM in the enblocal. Ini?

I know on my rig if this setting is set to the exact memory of my card, I get little stumbles even when turning the camera. I set it to the max - 10240 - and the stumbles stopped.

Don't know if I need 10gig for that setting but it works. I've not tested to find the lowest setting for my 3gb gtx780.

Edited by p4ck3tl055

Very likely a Script load issue.  Try uninstalling Enchanced Blood Textures, then footprints, then wet and cold... fixed it for me utterly.  I know that many here have no issue with this mod, but with a SkyRe installation and my Morrowloot Overhaul Recommendations (which is near my load-order), it is definitely an issue.  

In the MCM options for Convenient Horses there is an option to display the script lag on your screen.  Turn that on, your lag should be under 50 most times.  If it's over 100 most of the time then yes you have too many scripts.  It's not a foolproof test, it's more a sanity check.

• +1 1