Poor performance after fresh install of 2.2.8 Extended.

vile83r

Question

I did a fresh installation of Skyrim and Step and I feel I am getting severe under-performance compared to previous step versions. The last version I used was right before the announcement that you were changing your structure to the packs and stuff. I followed the guide from top the bottom but I am at a loss as to why i am barely averaging like 35 FPS and that is at 1280 x 720!!!

My specs are:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/ AMD-FX-8350 @ 4.9 GHz/ Corsair H80i/ 8GB DD3-1600 G.Skill Ripjaws/ Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti/ 240 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD HDD/ 2x WD Black 1TB RAID1/ Fractal 800 W PSU

I have attached a screenshot of the Skyrim Performance Monitor. This readout is from the opening carriage ride sequence. 

SPM did not measure FPS for whatever reasons so I had to use FRAPS to get a FPS reading. 

Skyrim is installed on the SSD in ACHI.

2 answers to this question

Opening carriage ride is murder on the system and not indicative of the performance that you will get throughout the game.

Did you go to other parts of the world and see if performance was better? Also, did you maybe have an FPS limiter on somewhere? ENB/ENBoost, Nividia Inspector, or elsewhere.

SPM will not give you a FPS count if you use ENB or SMAA or something similar.

As EssArrBee stated, the opening scene can be incredibly performance intensive. Sometimes its recommended to start the game with vanilla skyrim, make a save once your in helgen interiors, quit, and then load your mods, and play ofc.

Alternatively, you can use a mod like Live another Life - Alternative Start.