Using console commands to advance through quests

phryxolydian

Question

I've always consider this to be a bad idea. And I got to experience bad outcomes from doing it when I had my CWO profile.

Now, I've come across a weird bug after starting The Cursed Tribe. I am suppose to deliver Utab a daedra heart and some troll fat except, she's stuck inside a mountain. No, you read right, she's literally inside a rock mesh, high on a mountain. How she got there, no idea. I've saved my game before typing player.moveto 19e19 (Atub's RefID) and there I was, inside a mountain next to Atub. Question is: can I go to Largashbur where Atub is supposed to be and use player.placeatme 19e18 (ObjectID)? As I understand it, this command actually makes a copy of Atub, correct? And the real Atub is forever stuck inside the mountain. Is there another way around this nonsense?

6 answers to this question

For me, if I ever had to use the console to advance a quest (or quests), I would have absolute confirmation that my choices in my mod build was flawed or not patched correctly. CWO...not surprised, but reading the author's mod page...one might find it less than helpful or appealing:

QuoteBUGS. Yes, there are a very small number of bugs introduced by CWO v3, but all of them can be worked around very easily, and THEY DON'T ALWAYS OCCUR. If you are having serious difficulties and stuff going wrong and you have read all the documentation and are still having issues - YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG AND I CANNOT HELP YOU.

That's why I said, "No thanks."

Now to your question...you need to use the console command to advance/complete the quest...moving the NPC around is probably not going to trigger the progress step for the quest.

completequest <quest ID>

Be careful when using this command. Often, it merely makes the quest in the Journal become a completed quest. However, the related actors or NPCs to the quest may not recognize that you have completed a quest/task in order to give you a following quest/task. Quest IDs can be found in Quests.

getstage <quest ID>

Shows the current stage that the quest is at based on the game's internal stage numbering.

movetoqt <quest ID>

Example: movetoqt da01. Using this code will instantly teleport you to the target (i.e., the marker on the map) of the quest. It does not advance the quest in and of itself, but may bring you into a situation which might immediately do so. It takes you to the ultimate current target of the quest in its respective cell - so it doesn't just take you to the next doorway you need to go through. It doesn't skip over to the final stage of the quest, either - you are delivered to the target of the current stage of the quest. Use caution, as you will be placed right on top of or as close to the current marker as possible, which may position you in the middle of a group of enemies, or on top of a trapdoor, etc. See the main index of Quests for the quest ID codes.

https://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Console

Edited by Kuldebar

This is a long shot, but...

If you're comfortable with TES5Edit, you might be able to temporarily move or disable that bit of rock - but you need to get its FormID, if there's one associated with it.

I've just gotta ask: How did you discover she was inside a mountain in the first place?

@Kulde: Yeah, Apollo was anything but helpful when I asked for help.. Thanks Kulde, I'll try the movetoqt command, although I suspect it'll be the same as player.moveto since talking to Atub is the next thing I have to do.

@keith: Thanks man but I'm not really comfortable messing with TES5Edit other than making simple patches like patching Sounds of Skyrim and ELFX

I discovered she was in there cause when I was going to deliver the daedra heart and troll fat the map marker was pointing to a place in the mountain atop Angarvunde, I tried to get up there but I saw no way to do it. I used Clairvoyance and it said "I can't see a clear path" or something of the sort (I'm using YOT). Went back to Largashbur and she was nowhere to be found so I used the player.moveto command and there she was: I could only talk to her for a split second before sliding down the steep mountain and realising she was inside the rock!

You could try the hilarious method of using "pushactoraway *actorID* -1000" for example (remove minus for push). That will pull her towards you. Sometimes it does dislodge NPCs as well as being quite funny. If that does not work, "disable" the rock, run up and push her out of harms way, open console, "enable". Rock should pop back and all is well.

Thanks again Sparrow, finally was able to move on with that quest. I didn't write the pushactoraway and instead wrote pushaway lol which ofcourse said Script command not found, but I disabled the rock and Fuz Ro Dah her 3 times until she was back on the ground. Damn that orc took a beating  :lol: Surprised she made it out alive. And she was cool, didn't even give me the stink eye.Thanks all for your help!