ENBoost instructions don't seem to pertain to ENBoost

Quitch

Question

https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost#Recommendations

Step 1 has you download the ENB binary, then every step thereafter appears to only pertain to this download and modifying the files you extracted from it. I'm unsure whether this means you don't actually need ENBoost at all, or there's a missing line where it should tell you to extract and modify the ENBoost version of enblocal.ini.

10 answers to this question

Not sure what you mean :S 

You download ENB, and setup the enblocal.ini so that the graphics part of ENB is disabled and move forward. Nothing more nothing less. 

If you want to play with the graphics parts later then you just set the disablegraphics part to false and you are set. 

The step links to a file on Nexus called ENBoost, but the instructions for the step have nothing to do with ENBoost, they're entirely about the separate ENB binary download.

ENBoost contains a file enblocal.ini, but this is also in the ENB Binary download. The instructions provided have you extract enblocal.ini from the binary download and make modifications to it, they never tell you to do anything with the file from ENBoost, or even mention ENBoost. Therefore the instructions appear to not pertain to ENBoost or in fact have anything to do with it.

I am wondering why the step links to ENBoost when it seems it should simply link to the ENB Binary download page.

Edited by Quitch

Yeah that is a fair question... 

You only need to link to enbdev.com and get everything from there, since eventually you are going to get it all from there anyways. 

I guess the answer was that for new people then since there is a nexus site then it is easier to link to that so they do not get confused as to why it is not linked to later. 

In general everything ENB is a bit messy, but it all boils down to getting the files from enbdev.com and then set them up for your system. And later if you want visual stuff, then set that up or find a preset someone else made. 

Quitch, on 22 Apr 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

OK, so there's not a missing step or anything, I really don't need to do anything with ENBoost, only the ENB binary files mentioned?

Thanks.

Yes. ENBoost is in the ENBSeries files....can't have one without the other actually.

What makes it just "ENBoost" is when you turn off the advanced graphic effects via the ENB settings in the instructions.

The baseline is ENBoost, really no reason not to run it because it does wonders for video performance; from that baseline, there are a slew of additional settings that can be configured to turn on graphical effects and fixes if a person chooses to do so -but they will impact FPS to some degree.

I personally love ENB for all the awesome things like parallax, detailed shadows, particle lighting and mist effects.

But I also can live just fine with 30 FPS...some people have cows if they aren't hugging 60.

Edited by Kuldebar

I... don't think you understand. Let me explain:

1. You download ENBoost. This contains multiple enblocal.ini files and nothing else

2. You open the detailed instructions.

3. The instructions have you download the latest ENB binary

4. The instructions have you extract three files from the binary including an enblocal.ini

5. The instructions have you modify the enblocal.ini

6. The instructions ends.

You see the problem? What did you download ENBoost for? It is never used. If I did use it it would override the changes the instructions had me make to the binary ini. Perhaps the instructions meant me to make the modifications to the ENBoost copy of the ini, but then I would expect them to explain which one to extract and even then why would they have me extract the ENB binary copy?

So in conclusion, the link to ENBoost seems completely pointless as STEP does not (in its current instructed form) use it.

Quitch, on 22 Apr 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:Quitch, on 22 Apr 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

I... don't think you understand. Let me explain:

1. You download ENBoost. This contains multiple enblocal.ini files and nothing else

2. You open the detailed instructions.

3. The instructions have you download the latest ENB binary

4. The instructions have you extract three files from the binary including an enblocal.ini

5. The instructions have you modify the enblocal.ini

6. The instructions ends.

You see the problem? What did you download ENBoost for? It is never used. If I did use it it would override the changes the instructions had me make to the binary ini. Perhaps the instructions meant me to make the modifications to the ENBoost copy of the ini, but then I would expect them to explain which one to extract and even then why would they have me extract the ENB binary copy?

So in conclusion, the link to ENBoost seems completely pointless as STEP does not (in its current instructed form) use it.

Just download the latest binaries from ENBDev, v252 is the most recent.

https://enbdev.com/mod_tesskyrim_v0252.htm

Obviously you will need to edit any enblocal or enbseries ini files according to the instructions you are following, if you already have them edited...don't overwrite them if you are updating the ENB files.

Edited by Kuldebar

If I remember correctly the ENBoost file on Nexus was put up before it was totally incorporated into the ENB binary. I could be totally wrong here though. I think the instructions had you go to Nexus and then when the instructions were updated the ENBoost portion forgot to be taken out. Again, I could be and probably am incorrect about that.

Edited by ath3nos

Quitch, on 22 Apr 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Yeah, I know, as I said earlier that's what I did, which is also why I'm questioning why the guide links to that ENBoost file as it doesn't use it.

The Nexus link to ENBoost should be removed (it is, I just checked).

Just instructions for configuring/editing the enblocal.ini & enbseries.ini are all that's needed after the user downloads the files from the official site. I'm looking at the instructions...I don't see any issues. You may have issues if you are reading the enclosed instructions that come with the ENB files...as they may differ.

Follow these steps to install ENBoost

• Download the latest ENB binary. STEP does not recommend downloading the Skyrim Nexus version of ENBoost due to incorrect settings for STEP.
    • The links at the bottom of the page list all the binaries. Choose the latest file (usually the one on the top of the list), then on the next page click the Posted Image button.
  • Open the ENB binary archive and go to the "WrapperVersion" folder, then extract only d3d9.dll, enbhost.exe, and enblocal.ini to the <Skyrim>/ directory -- NOT <Skyrim>/Data.
  • Open enblocal.ini in Notepad++ or similar text editor.
    • Find the section named [GLOBAL] and ...
      • Set UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true
      NOTE: This disables deferred shader rendering ENB lighting effects dictated by enbseries.ini but allows the memory management and basic graphics tweaks contained within enblocal.ini'.
      • Set UseDefferedRendering=false
      NOTE: This may grant a slight performance increase when not using deferred shader rendering.
    • Find the section marked [MEMORY] and ...
      • Change parameters according to your video card (choose the enblocal.ini corresponding to your video card).
      • Set VideoMemorySizeMb= ('yes, this should be blank')
      • Set AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true
      NOTE: This sets the proper VRAM allocation automatically
    • Find the section marked [ENGINE] and ...
      • Set ForceAnisotropicFiltering=false
      NOTE: Using the graphics drivers AF provides a slight frame-rate gain over using ENB with no difference in quality. (leave as 'true' if not using graphics drivers to set AF).
      • Set EnableVSync=true
      NOTE: This eliminates screen tearing at high FPS by enabling vsync does not harm/hinder anything if frame rates are < 60 FPS.
      • Set VSyncSkipNumFrames=0
      NOTE: This tells the frame buffer to ignore the back buffer 0, 1, 2, or 3 contiguous cycles before grabbing a frame, which rarely if ever applies)
  • Save and close.

•  
Edited by Kuldebar