Do not understand STEP patches

Quitch

Question

So I've returned to try and STEP again and am currently faced with that most daunting of tasks: installing it all from scratch.

I don't understand the instructions in the STEP patches note "Do not download or install." However, it just lists ESP files and not mods, so how am I supposed to avoid installing these, let alone downloading them? Does it simply mean ensure I do not enable them? Did there use to be a large number of patches matching those names in the guide or on the STEP page?

Edited by Quitch

5 answers to this question

It's very important you follow the instructions or you will have a mess in implementation.

Now:

QuoteQuoteit just lists ESP files and not mods, so how am I supposed to avoid installing these, let alone downloading them?

If you use Mod Organizer, which you should be using, it's really easy.

Using MO, Download the instructed mod.

Install it.

• Now, right click on the newly installed and enabled mod entry on the left side MO's window pane
  • Select Information from the menu that pops up.
  • In the new window, choose the Optional ESP's tab
  • Now click and highlight on the ESP which needs to be disabled under available ESP, using the arrows on the right, move esp/esm to Optional section.
  • Now all the mod's data folders are installed minus the ESP which STEP will be providing a replacement for.
  • If instructed, additional files and folders can be hidden or removed via the Filetree tab by right clicking the file/folder and selecting Hide.
  • Please remember to follow load order instructions in addition to the above procedure.
Edited by Kuldebar

It's very important you follow the instructions or you will have a mess in implementation.

It says not to download the following, then lists ESPs. The guide does not list ESPs for download, only mods. The instructions cannot be followed.

It says not to download the following, then lists ESPs. The guide does not list ESPs for download, only mods. The instructions cannot be followed.

The files are part of an archive, so you will need to download the full archive and go from there. Yes, you are correct, those instructions are not worded very well, so you will have to understand what the intent/object/goal is in this process and just make do as I outlined.

Thanks.

I understand how some of those instructions can throw people off, especially due to the fact that people have varying levels of experience doing these type of things. Keeping STEP revised/edited/corrected is a full time job in many respects, so some rough edges like the ones you have noted slip through the process.