STEP: Core installed! Now: packs & other mods

macabre

Question

Greetings all,

I've recently returned to Skyrim with a better rig and found the STEP Project. Great idea! Reminds me of FCOM: Convergence for Oblivion, same deal... overhaul a TES game by testing and integrating a bunch of mods. Anyway, I took a whack at installing FCOM back in the day and managed to do it, so I figured STEP wouldn't be a problem. And it mostly wasn't! After careful reading and downloading (double and triple checking all the while!) I've managed to install STEP: Core. No CTDs, freeze, etc. in ~2 hours of gameplay. Early days yet, maybe, we'll see. Any idea how long it will take before any major problems arise?

Now I am wondering about STEP Packs. I have a rough grasp of the idea: packs are meant to build on STEP: Core. But as for the actual MECHANICS of installing new STEP Packs, I am at a loss. Am I supposed to install them in a different profile from STEP: Core? But then what about load order? Should I copy STEP Core's profile and make a new profile including it, then install the packs? Etc. Questions like these. My opinion is that that there is not sufficient explanation of just HOW Packs are supposed to be installed, in general. I would love some clarification, or perhaps someone can point me to a page on the wiki that I missed.

I guess this would also apply to any other mods I might want to install that are not in STEP packs. Are there any guidelines or "best practices" for modding on top of STEP: Core? Installing, testing, etc. I'll probably be told to look around the forums, but just looking for general opinions on modding on top of STEP: Core.

Thanks for your time!

Edited by macabre

5 answers to this question

You sould generally install any pack at the end of the same profile in MO as STEP. Packs are supposed to be isntalled on top of STEP. If a certain pack must be installed somewehere inbetween your other mods it'll usually give that direction. Our pack REGS, for example, you can basically install it anywhere in the install order because it doesn't overwrite anything else. Although for overview's sake I'd install it at the end.

Modding can be confusing in the beginning and so congratulations for installing STEP Core :). 

Anything you install on top of STEP, you should first put it at the end of the install order (not load order, which is determined by BOSS) and see if it overwrites anything using the information given to you by MO. Then you should probably check in TES5edit to see if there are any conflicts, though I judging from your questino that might be too much of a step up for now. Conflict resolution isn't always necessary.

I'd stick to STEP and one or two of the more renowened packs for now and just play your game, then you gradually get a bigger understanding over time how things work :)

It is also very worthwhile to check out some of the Mod Organizer Guide on the Wiki.

Thanks for the comment, Nearox, it really cleared up my confusion about STEP: Core and packs as well as other mods. :)

I've now installed the Weather and Base Requiem patches, and added a few other mods of my own. I'm a few hours into a new save and loving it. Only one CTD thus far as well. So, fingers crossed! I expect I'll be pretty busy the next few nights (at the least!) playing it. :D

Edited by macabre

You sould generally install any pack at the end of the same profile in MO as STEP. Packs are supposed to be isntalled on top of STEP. If a certain pack must be installed somewehere inbetween your other mods it'll usually give that direction. Our pack REGS, for example, you can basically install it anywhere in the install order because it doesn't overwrite anything else. Although for overview's sake I'd install it at the end.

I do not agree that they should be added to the same profile. What I would suggest is copying the STEP profile, giving it a new name, and then add your Packs there. This allows you to easily switch between your PURE STEP profile and any other profiles that include both STEP and Packs. This way you can have a different profile for whatever Packs you choose to include and create your own profiles with your own mods without messing up you STEP profile.

What I would suggest is copying the STEP profile, giving it a new name, and then add your Packs there.

That is what I did after reading a bit more about profiles and what they do. If you get a messed up install, all you have to do is switch back to your pristine STEP: Core profile and start over. Very handy. I love Mod Organizer, such a fantastic program.