Least tedious way to find a corrupt mesh?

Noobsayer

Question

So I've been having a crashing issue on the Windhelm bridge and around Kynesgrove on a playthrough influenced by, but not to the letter of, Skyrim Revisited. I assumed that perhaps somehow one of the magic, sneak or enchanting overhauls I added were the culprit, but I'm getting it on a testgame with only the unofficial patches, Alternate Start and a bunch of texture and mesh mods installed.

This leaves me to conclude: mesh issue.

Is there a way to track this down besides loading them up and running across the bridge over and over?

6 answers to this question

So I've been having a crashing issue on the Windhelm bridge and around Kynesgrove on a playthrough influenced by, but not to the letter of, Skyrim Revisited. I assumed that perhaps somehow one of the magic, sneak or enchanting overhauls I added were the culprit, but I'm getting it on a testgame with only the unofficial patches, Alternate Start and a bunch of texture and mesh mods installed.

This leaves me to conclude: mesh issue.

Is there a way to track this down besides loading them up and running across the bridge over and over?

Do you use Mod Organizer? If so, can't you just disable any texture/mesh related mods one by one for testing purposes, I've successfully troubleshot many a problem that way.

For example, I learned the hard way ( the best way! ) about the Skyrim Misc Patches Collection - SMPC by Hexaae - it took me 45 minutes of loading up and enabling select blocks of mods and COC'ing on a clean save before I was able to pinpoint the source of a serious terrain issue -turned out to be SMPC corrupt edit.

So, tedious, ok maybe, but extremely effective.

Mesh trouble shooting is tedious, but if you have an area nailed down where a CTD is reproduceable then it is easy enough to find by simply disabling mods one at a time. As already mentioned. 

Main problem is finding a location where the issue is persistent, not so much finding the actual mesh afterwards. 

Making sure to disable any armor and weapon mods that add new content to the game should be your first priority to disable. After that then work ya way though it. 

Yeah, I use MO, but that still involves turning stuff on a few at a time, loading up Skyrim and running across a bridge over and over, lol. And no, tested with zero mods other than the unofficial patches and Alternate Start. THAT worked fine until I turned all my textures n such back on, so it's a matter of disabling them all again and ... well ... trning them on a few at a time and running over the Windhelm bridge, lol.

Urgh. Well, at least I have a prime testing area nailed down. :dry:  And at least it's not a serious problem, so should be very fixable on current playthrough once I figure out what it is that's causing it on the test profile.

Hmm. Got a single crash after enabling SFO again, but not able to reproduce it now. When I was having problems before it was a near 100 percent occurrence though so ... D: This frustrates me. Redownloading SFO just in case, but urgh.