Core Installation Guide : Backup

croc

Question

I'll offer my 'steam-proofing' guide for the team's use as I think that it is a fairly comprehensive guide to organizing multiple instances of Skyrim in their entirety.  (I can change out one complete setup for another in about 1 minute.)  The only issue that anyone will have is with a mod organizer of any type, as there is no easy way for the organizer (any that I have ever seen / used) to keep track of multiple copies of Skyrim in multiple configurations.  Still, I think that it is a very useful tool.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/43721/? 

2 answers to this question

I'll offer my 'steam-proofing' guide for the team's use as I think that it is a fairly comprehensive guide to organizing multiple instances of Skyrim in their entirety. (I can change out one complete setup for another in about 1 minute.) The only issue that anyone will have is with a mod organizer of any type, as there is no easy way for the organizer (any that I have ever seen / used) to keep track of multiple copies of Skyrim in multiple configurations. Still, I think that it is a very useful tool.https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/43721/?

What is the point of using multiple instances of skyrim when Mod Organizer allows you to swap out profiles with two clicks? Each profile even has its own configuration.

What is the point of using multiple instances of skyrim when Mod Organizer allows you to swap out profiles with two clicks? Each profile even has its own configuration.

I wish that I had run across the mod organizer earlier.  I would have still used separate skyrims, separate saves and separate plugin.txt files simply for the certainty that if I ran into a conflict or a corrupted file  in one instance, I would still have the other instances uncorrupted or without conflict.  However, with the mod organizer I could have had an easy way to add or delete mods on the fly and do it cleanly.  Oh well, I learned early on how to use the mod's own file structures to chase down what had to be added or removed, so am more familiar than many with Skyrim's file / data structures.