Change versioning scheme

Octopuss

Question

I clicked on something (I still can't believe I am typing this as an IT support guy) I wasn't sure what it does and now I can't find anything in the options to make it go back.

Compatibility patch's version was showing as lower number than the main mod, and I clicked on something called "change versioning scheme", which didn't do anything. Now I have no idea what happened and what am I supposed to do. Help :D

4 answers to this question

MO supports multiple incompatible versioning schemes, i.e. one where 1.2 is newer than 1.11 and the correct one.

The button you clicked basically tells MO "The versioning scheme you assume for this mod is wrong, the version I have installed is older than the one on nexus". MO will then try it's supported versioning schemes to find one where that is true and apply that to the mod.

The way you describe it the version of the mod was already marked as outdated so the "change versioning scheme" option shouldn't even have been displayed.

I'd say 1.2 being newer than 1.11 is mathematically correct :D

What I have is a mod with version 1.2, and a patch (compatibility patch for different mod) v1.0, which was thus marked as old, which is mathematically correct, but also wrong, because it - I believe - has version of its own.

Anyway, I clicked on that option and it disappeared from context menu, which confused the hell out of me and I started looking in the options to switch it back.

I'd say 1.2 being newer than 1.11 is mathematically correct :D

What I have is a mod with version 1.2, and a patch (compatibility patch for different mod) v1.0, which was thus marked as old, which is mathematically correct, but also wrong, because it - I believe - has version of its own.

Anyway, I clicked on that option and it disappeared from context menu, which confused the hell out of me and I started looking in the options to switch it back.

If this were numbers in a math test in one of the few countries where dot is a decimal separator: yes, you would be right.

But it's not, it's a version number and there 1.11 is (usually) considered larger than 1.2. Maybe it help if you mentally replace the dot with some other symbol:

1#2 doesn't necessarily seem larger than 1#11, right?

MO can't track patch version separately from the main file, Nexus simply doesn't provide the needed information to do that. When a new version of a patch is released, MO has no way to figure out that file is even related to the patch you downloaded before.

Therefore MO can only track files correctly if the mod author keeps his mod version and all file versions in sync. Otherwise you have to manually modify file versions.

This can't be fixed unless Nexus how secondary files are handled.