Stuck with animations from 360 Walk and Run Plus

Aboogie1

Question

I'm using Mod Organizer v1.1.1 and I've read some of the comments about MO's issues with FNIS 4.1.1 and eventually solved the problem by installing FNIS into my Data folder directly (NMM helps with this so it won't be so hard to remove later) and running the generator from MO. It seems to be working ok...except for one strange persistent problem. I'm stuck with the vanilla animation replacers from 360 Walk and Run Plus.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34508/?

Before I updated FNIS to v4.1.1 I was using 3.1 I think. I uninstalled 360 Walk and Run Plus (all files gone, not in Data folder or MO's virtual Data folder, checked) and ran the GenerateFNISforUsers.exe again. As if through some annoying magic though I still had those animations. The FNIS generator always gave me two warnings: It wanted me to remove a file called "behaviors/mt_behavior.hkx" and warned me about some non-FNIS animations from other mods not related to 360 Walk and Run Plus. Removing that file caused the T post of death, so I put it back. I updated to FNIS v4.1.1, spent an evening pulling my hair out trying to make it work with MO only to eventually find out that MO is currently incompatible with it, installed it into my Data folder directly via NMM and ran the generator from MO. The first time I loaded my save after that the 360 animations were gone, but because I was a dummy and listened to MO's warning that I should re-run the FNIS generator because the behavior files had changed, I ran it again. The 360 animations were somehow back! I've disabled the MO plugin that warns about updated FNIS behavior files because it warned me about it every time I tried to start Skyrim. I have no idea where the fault of this problem lies, with MO or FNIS or 360 Walk and Run Plus, or how to fix it. If anyone has had this problem and fixed it please share how you did it.

2 answers to this question

The nice thing about MO is that it keeps you actual Skyrim directory "clean". There are exceptions of coarse like when using an ENB or SKSE. That is beyond the scope of this reply. I would first of all create a "clean" Skyrim install, this should not effect your modded game using MO, but based on your description it sounds like you corrupted you actual Data folder by putting things there that you shouldn't have (you should not use NMM at all to install mods). The proper way to install FNIS is as follows:

1. Install using MO just like you would any other mod.

2. Click your data tab in the right pane of MO and expand the tools folder (it should be close to the bottom).

3. Expand the GenerateFNIS_for_Users folder.

4. Right click on GenerateFNISforUsers.exe and select run as executable.

5. Select FNIS from the list of executables and select RUN.

The files created will be placed in your Overwrite folder and you have to rerun FNIS, BOSS, BASH, and any SkyProc mods anytime you make mod changes. The files FNIS created are in the overwrite/meshes folder. Ideally, your Overwrite folder should be empty, but many people including myself, keep files there. These include your BASHed patch, user created patches (though you really should create a mod folder for those), FNIS, and any SkyProc mods you may use. Generally, you can delete everything in the Overwrite directory unless you have user made patches in there as all the other files will be regenerated when you switch profiles or make modifications to your current profile. After making changes to you current profile or switching profiles you will have rerun FNIS, BOSS, Wyre BASH, and any SkyProc Patches you may have (all through MO) which will recreate all the files. NEVER run FNIS, BOSS, BASH, or SkyProc patches outside of MO.

Thanks for the tips DanimalTwo. The steps you gave for installing FNIS did work for earlier versions, but FNIS v4.1.1 does not function correctly when installed in MO. I'll try making a backup of my data folder and validating the cache to get a new vanilla data folder and see if the problem goes away after running the FNIS generator again.