C++ Runtime Library Error

blitzen

Question

I've been seeing a Skyrim error for the first time during the past week. There is an boing sound, and a small window pops up with the following information:

C++ Runtime Library Error

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way."

The game has essentially crashed, but it doesn't close because the error was caught and this window appears instead. I only started to see this with the last week, around the time I started using the new memory patches. Whether I use the modified SKSE or the SSME version makes no difference.

A factor that might come into play here are updates to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable at the beginning of January (4th and 8th) which added versions for both 2012 and 2010. I believe one or both were added when I installed Bioshock Infinite, because I did not added them manually. That still leaves a couple of weeks before any problems manifested.

Has anyone see this error? Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix it? Is there a specific version of the Runtime that works best with Skyrim?

Thanks for any help.

11 answers to this question

For me, just while playing. I was running around Riverwood and after some time the game freeze and I can't ALT-TAB.

In the task manager I can see a Visual C++ Runtime Library Error window is open. I kill it and it kills Skyrim with it.

I can reproduced it 100% of time.

All right from what I gather this morning in internet the most common solution is to use a registry cleaner and hopping it will fix the problem...

The other solution is to uninstall any Visual Redistributable and reinstall them. I'm at work now so I won't be able to test those for the moment.

Which version of the C++ Runtime does Skyrim use? 2008? 2010? And which version was used to build SSME?

I saw someone else posted about this same issue on another forum. He started seeing this error after using a version of the memory patch, I believe the original Sheson patch. I've see the error occur for a couple of different memory patch versions. It seems random to me. I haven't had it happen for a couple of hours, after reinstalling the Runtimes for 2008 and 2010 and rebooting. But I'm on a different character. And it could be coincidence, since this character is visiting locations for Dawnguard, and the other one wasn't.