DDSopt Batch File Problems

DecayingDesires18

Question

So tonight I'm using DDSopt for the first time. I was using optimizer texture before, but I really want to make sure everything is done right in regards to Skyrim, creating as stable a game as possible, and DDSopt gives me the extra control and options needed to do that. Regardless, I've spent the afternoon reading the guide and am now attempting to actually use the program. However, I've run into a problem with the batch files and I can't, for the life of me, figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I have the extracted vanilla textures in the proper folders and proper structure: 

- working directory 

- vanilla extracted

-Dawnguard

-Dragonborn

-Hearthfire

-STD

I extracted only the textures from the dlc's bsa's as that was recommended in the guide over extracting everything such as the scripts that are also included in the bsa's. And I extracted them using DDSopt, also following the guide for that. 

I extracted all the batch files from the most recent download link into the 'working directory'. Then I tried to run the '2_Pre-Optimization.bat' batch file which is supposed to take awhile and is also supposed to create four new folders, none of which should be empty. I ran it as an administrator, pressed a random key to continue like it says, but it finishes in all of two seconds, not remotely long at all. It creates the four correct folders, however, during the most recent time I tried it, two of the folders are empty, one has the correct data in it, and the other has 2 of the correct folders in it and is missing the other two. Every time that I run it, I get a different result with the four folders it creates. Sometimes 3 of them are empty, sometimes only one, sometimes two of them have the correct information inside. It varies every time, but it is never totally correct. 

I have read and re-read the guide regarding this particular part. I have deleted all the batch files, downloaded and extracted them again, created a brand new working directory and moved all the vanilla extracted textures over to it, I have have tried the working directory on both of my external hard drives as I don't have enough free space on my SSD, and it still isn't giving me the correct result. 

Everything else with DDSopt is going smooth except for this. I did find another thread on this forum where someone had the same or similar problem, but they updated their post saying that they figured out the problem themselves and listed no solution so I'm at a complete loss. I know it's something that I'm doing wrong on my end or am missing, but like I said, I just can't figure it out. Perhaps I have just been re-reading the guide so many times that it's all blurring together and that's why I'm unable to determine the solution.

Regardless, I would really appreciate any help or advice on this issue that I'm having that anyone could offer me. I'm sure it's something simple and I'll feel like an idiot once someone points it out. Anyway, thank you in advance. 

7 answers to this question

DecayingDesires18 Wrote'DecayingDesires18''62926''1389412760'

I have the extracted vanilla textures in the proper folders and proper structure: 

- working directory 

- vanilla extracted

-Dawnguard

-Dragonborn

-Hearthfire

-STD

I'm not sure the files are extracted to the right place based on the diagram you provided above. Look at the Working Folder Directory figure at the bottom of the "Optimize the vanilla textures" section. For now look only at the Vanilla Extracted folder. After running the batch file to clean the HRDLC and the pre-optimization batch file, the file and subdirectory counts in your Vanilla Extracted folder should match those in the Vanilla Extracted folder in the figure (except I'm not sure in your case whether your comment about not extracting scripts, etc. meant you didn't extract the scripts, meshes, etc. in the the 3 DLC folders or that you didn't extract Skyrim - meshes.bsa, etc.). The guide suggests extracting all the files in the 3 DLC (mostly because it is much easier and thus less prone to error); if you extracted only the texture files from the DLCs then the file and subdirectory counts in the 3 DLC folders inside your Vanilla Extracted directory should be similar to the file and subdir counts in the Vanilla Optimized folder in the figure. If you extracted all the files in the 3 addon DLCs then the file and subdir counts should match the numbers in the Vanilla Extracted folder in the figure

I extracted only the textures from the dlc's bsa's as that was recommended in the guide over extracting everything such as the scripts that are also included in the bsa's (where did it say that in the DDSopt guide so we can fix the text to make it clearer that the Skyrim- textures BSA, the 3 HRDLC BSAs, and the 3 optional DLC BSAs should be fully extracted?). And I extracted them using DDSopt, also following the guide for that. 

I extracted all the batch files from the most recent download link into the 'working directory'. Then I tried to run the '2_Pre-Optimization.bat' batch file which is supposed to take awhile and is also supposed to create four new folders, none of which should be empty. I ran it as an administrator, pressed a random key to continue like it says, but it finishes in all of two seconds, not remotely long at all. It creates the four correct folders, however, during the most recent time I tried it, two of the folders are empty, one has the correct data in it, and the other has 2 of the correct folders in it and is missing the other two. Every time that I run it, I get a different result with the four folders it creates. Sometimes 3 of them are empty, sometimes only one, sometimes two of them have the correct information inside. It varies every time, but it is never totally correct. 

I have read and re-read the guide regarding this particular part. I have deleted all the batch files, downloaded and extracted them again, created a brand new working directory and moved all the vanilla extracted textures over to it, I have have tried the working directory on both of my external hard drives as I don't have enough free space on my SSD, and it still isn't giving me the correct result. 

Everything else with DDSopt is going smooth except for this. I did find another thread on this forum where someone had the same or similar problem, but they updated their post saying that they figured out the problem themselves and listed no solution so I'm at a complete loss.

In at least one such case the files from the BSAs had been extracted to the wrong places.

I know it's something that I'm doing wrong on my end or am missing, but like I said, I just can't figure it out. Perhaps I have just been re-reading the guide so many times that it's all blurring together and that's why I'm unable to determine the solution.

Regardless, I would really appreciate any help or advice on this issue that I'm having that anyone could offer me. I'm sure it's something simple and I'll feel like an idiot once someone points it out. Anyway, thank you in advance. 

If the pre-optimization batch file doesn't find files where it expects them it finishes very quickly. If you can, either take a picture of the directory tree of your Vanilla Extracted folder before (or after) running the pre-optimization batch file and post it or just post the file and folder count for each folder inside Vanilla Extracted.

Thank you for your replies. I apologize for not responding sooner, had a small power outage where I live so no internet for awhile. Anyway, I somehow managed to get the pre-optimization batch file working. I honestly have no idea how. I just kept moving the directory around and eventually it took and ran flawlessly. According to the DDSopt guide, the correct folders were created and and everything that was supposed to be in them after the batch file ran was. Had no problem optimizing them, thankfully.

However, now I'm having trouble with the mod_sorting_pre_optimization batch file. I seem to have bad luck with these. If I don't run it as an administrator [i'm aware you have to run it as an administrator, its just for comparison], the command box shows up, there are a couple lines about the directory, and then below it tells me I have to run it as an administrator. If I run it as an administrator, a black box flashes for the very briefest of seconds and then nothing. I find it odd that when I run it the right way, as an administrator, it essentially doesn't show up at all and when I run it the wrong way it at least shows up. Like before, I have tried moving the directory since that fixed my problem with the other batch file, but it didn't fix this problem.

I feel like I must be creating the directory wrong, but I followed the instructions in the DDSopt guide.

In my HDD, I created a folder called Skyrim Directory, in that folder, I created the Mod Extracted folder and inside that are all the folders containing various texture mods I want to optimize. The extracted bash files are in the Skyrim Directory folder. 

Here is a screenshot of the directory:

Posted Image

There is a new version 2.62 of the batch files. "Run as administrator" objected to the ampersand in the file name. The administrative privilege test output is changed to a comment. I don't need to run the sorting batch files as an administrator when I use them, but it's possible some users might need to do this.