Difficulties Optimising Vanilla Textures

DrWhisper

Question

Dear STEP community,

I am encountering a number of problems whilst trying to optimise the vanilla and DLC textures using DDSopt. I have tried to follow the procedure outlined in the DDSopt guide...

(https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls#tab=DDSopt_Optimization)

...on three separate occasions (redownloading batch files each time) but have repeatedly encountered the following problems:

1) My 'Vanilla Extracted' folder contains 76,402 files (76,395 excl. logs) and 2,718 files. This conflicts with the numbers (77,116 files (excl. logs) and 2,752 folders respectively) which the guide states 'Vanilla Extracted' should contain. Is this a problem?

2a) After running "2_Pre-optimization.bat", my 'Vanilla Normal Maps' folder is empty. This conflicts with the guide: "Once complete, the Working Directory structure should be updated to (none of these folders will be empty)".

Note: Running "1_HRDLC_Clean-START.bat" gave an empty error log, no problems.

2b) Furthermore, the Working Directory structure does not match that in the guide. Aside from an empty 'Vanilla Normal Maps', the 'Vanilla Ordinary Textures' file does not contain folders 'STD', 'Hearthfires' or 'Dragonborn'.

2c) My log.txt contains 6 empty lines rather than the 16 suggested in the guide. Moreover, the number of empty lines is different each time I do the procedure (the first time it was 3)

3) Finally, when using DDSopt to optimise the textures and place them in 'Vanilla Optimized' (ignoring the problems in 1) and 2)), I did not end with the 7 expected directories for vanilla + DLC. Furthermore, my browser tabs did not match the pictures given in the guide. Often, the discrepancy was that HRDLC folders in the browser tab were greyed out and did not contain 'texture' subdirectories where expected.

I would greatly appreciate any help with these problems, as I am lost for where things are going wrong.

Kind regards,

DrWhisper

4 answers to this question

I don't know if it's relevant, but after restarting the procedure again I've noticed that the contents of HighResTexturePack01.bsa do not match those in the screenshot given in the guide (upon extraction). The folder 'actors' is missing, but can be found in HighResTexturePack03.bsa instead.

Thanks for your reply phazer11.

For now I'm putting the optimisation on hold, I'm getting a bit impatient with it and need a time-out :)

I'll take your suggestion and give it the good college try once more. If it still goes wrong, I'll try to document the process so that you folks at STEP can perhaps see where things go wrong in case anyone else ever suffers the same problems.

On that note, I'll sign off by adding some detail: Perhaps it's relevant that I bought the skyrim Legendary Edition (1 pack with vanilla + DLCs). Perhaps the textures are organised differently into the various directories.

Cheers

Dear STEP community' date='

I am encountering a number of problems whilst trying to optimise the vanilla and DLC textures using DDSopt. I have tried to follow the procedure outlined in the DDSopt guide...

(https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls#tab=DDSopt_Optimization)

...on three separate occasions (redownloading batch files each time) but have repeatedly encountered the following problems:

1) My 'Vanilla Extracted' folder contains 76,402 files (76,395 excl. logs) and 2,718 files. This conflicts with the numbers (77,116 files (excl. logs) and 2,752 folders respectively) which the guide states 'Vanilla Extracted' should contain. Is this a problem?

The file/folder numbers you mention above are taken from the sentence that describes the contents before running "1_HRDLC_Clean-START.bat". When the cleaning is complete the correct file/folder numbers are as shown in the screenshot at the bottom of the section. The 2721 folders is from an old version of the batch files; we'll fix the text.[/quote']

I don't know if it's relevant' date=' but after restarting the procedure again I've noticed that the contents of HighResTexturePack01.bsa do not match those in the screenshot given in the guide (upon extraction). The folder 'actors' is missing, but can be found in HighResTexturePack03.bsa instead.[/quote']

That particular screenshot was created using the old version of HighResTexturePack01.bsa . We need to replace the figure with one using the current version.

2a) After running "2_Pre-optimization.bat", my 'Vanilla Normal Maps' folder is empty. This conflicts with the guide: "Once complete, the Working Directory structure should be updated to (none of these folders will be empty)".

Note: Running "1_HRDLC_Clean-START.bat" gave an empty error log, no problems.

2b) Furthermore, the Working Directory structure does not match that in the guide. Aside from an empty 'Vanilla Normal Maps', the 'Vanilla Ordinary Textures' file does not contain folders 'STD', 'Hearthfires' or 'Dragonborn'.

2c) My log.txt contains 6 empty lines rather than the 16 suggested in the guide. Moreover, the number of empty lines is different each time I do the procedure (the first time it was 3)

3) Finally, when using DDSopt to optimise the textures and place them in 'Vanilla Optimized' (ignoring the problems in 1) and 2)), I did not end with the 7 expected directories for vanilla + DLC. Furthermore, my browser tabs did not match the pictures given in the guide. Often, the discrepancy was that HRDLC folders in the browser tab were greyed out and did not contain 'texture' subdirectories where expected.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but it might be problems with administrative privilege or if the working folder is inside a UAC controlled directory like Program File or Program Files (x86). We'll add a test in the batch for admin privilege. The copies don't seem to be working properly.

I would greatly appreciate any help with these problems, as I am lost for where things are going wrong.

Kind regards,

DrWhisper