Laws (and such)

DanielCoffey

They are simply complying with a UK court order. No other UK ISPs should link to those torrent sites now either.

Then consider moving to America or something, I don't know. At least they didn't block those sites. For now, at least. 
Or maybe try using a VPN to mask your IP and effectively, you should be originating from another server location. See Private Internet Access, for example.

yeah VPN/proxy is the way to go. if you can chum up the $5-10 US per month, i think it's well worth it. i haven't started using one, but have been considering it for a while now.

ExpressVPN has gotten killer reviews and has some really nice features, good server distribution and speed.

Private Internet Access also gets really good reviews. similar to express, but US-based (with worldwide servers), no logs, etc.

rules, laws etc pah... You don't want to move to anywhere on this planet, you want off this planet, there are no laws on building a rocket to space... although i wonder how long it would take if that became an issue.

I'd put good money on the outcome being getting so far up then being picked up on radar and radio ordered to land before they shoot me down, if i am then allive a lawsuit waiting for me claiming my actions put airliners at risk and myself...

Stoopid laws. uk's laws are getting ridoncilous.

Going off topic a little, but it's not only the UK laws. The whole world is going mad. The governments realised that the total lack of control over the internet contents is a bad thing (in their opinion) and something must be done about it. It's too late though, the internet is too big to control :)

Lots of other factors kick in, the plutocracy (as the we no longer have democracy, despite what we're being told by mass media), corporationism and stupid political correctness...

Recently the EU parliament voted on a new law (luckily it didn't go through!) that could allow the government to FORCE SHUT any private company if the male-female employees ratio would be lower than 60-40 %.

Meaning that if you own a company and employ a 100 people, 40 of them HAVE to be females. And they call this "equal opportunities". What a lots of bollocks...

...what? I know that gender equality is a good thing to enforce, but you do that via equal pay, equal benefits, and similar. Forcing companies to have a almost-equal female/male ratio is NOT how you go about this, especially when you consider fields that, by their very nature, will have much more males than females. If that was passed, businesses everywhere would have to skip out on many potentially bright recruits because if they don't maintain a nearly equal ratio, they will get shut down.

If the law was for enforcing things that WOULD actually make females and males equal (pay, general benefits, no sexist remarks), then it would have been a good idea.

As for torrents, while I don't really condone piracy (and the excuse of doing so for "demoing the game" - there's a reason why most companies offer legal demos themselves), a lot of people used those same sites to share completely legal stuff (there's even a site called LegalTorrents.com, which hosts, well, guess). Shutting down those sites will also shut down the users who share 100% legal content on the sites as collateral damage. Plus, most of the real action happens on private torrent sites, anyway.

Don't you know? You are already guilty unless you can prove your innocense. Have you seen the fiasco with YouTube right now? Gopher has some vids up.

yes, that's a very bad decision made by the content mafia. There are so many things going wrong these days...

But then again... I just saw The Hobbit 2 and it was just amazing! Definitely a must-see for dragon/skyrim fans! It's always a bit schizophrenic to see what great things we (as a society) can create these days (movies/games/mods) and at the same time get handcuffed for beeing a fan (be it let's plays, SW movie mods etc.)

edit:

I can really recommend this movie! Just don't watch it from a modders POV, cause you really get frustrated about your current ingame graphics ;)

Posted Image

btw: what textures are used in this screenshot?

...what? I know that gender equality is a good thing to enforce, but you do that via equal pay, equal benefits, and similar. Forcing companies to have a almost-equal female/male ratio is NOT how you go about this, especially when you consider fields that, by their very nature, will have much more males than females. If that was passed, businesses everywhere would have to skip out on many potentially bright recruits because if they don't maintain a nearly equal ratio, they will get shut down.

If the law was for enforcing things that WOULD actually make females and males equal (pay, general benefits, no sexist remarks), then it would have been a good idea.

I agree, totally. It is called "affirmative action" and we do it here in the US, but not by sex (AFAIK). Any form of this is discriminatory, IMO.

As for torrents, while I don't really condone piracy (and the excuse of doing so for "demoing the game" - there's a reason why most companies offer legal demos themselves), a lot of people used those same sites to share completely legal stuff (there's even a site called LegalTorrents.com, which hosts, well, guess). Shutting down those sites will also shut down the users who share 100% legal content on the sites as collateral damage. Plus, most of the real action happens on private torrent sites, anyway.

I advocate piracy ... outside of --as a courtesy-- small arenas that already provide free content (e.g., mods on the Nexus, YouTube vids, software, etc.) ... but the latter is not strictly 'piracy', it is 'impolite'. Pay for nothing, trade and barter ;) (it only works if we eliminate the faux currency system though ... all in good time).

Don't you know? You are already guilty unless you can prove your innocense. Have you seen the fiasco with YouTube right now? Gopher has some vids up.

yes, that's a very bad decision made by the content mafia. There are so many things going wrong these days...

But then again... I just saw The Hobbit 2 and it was just amazing! Definitely a must-see for dragon/skyrim fans! It's always a bit schizophrenic to see what great things we (as a society) can create these days (movies/games/mods) and at the same time get handcuffed for beeing a fan (be it let's plays, SW movie mods etc.)

edit:

I can really recommend this movie! Just don't watch it from a modders POV, cause you really get frustrated about your current ingame graphics ;)

Posted Image

btw: what textures are used in this screenshot?

Agree, awesome movie and in keeping with all of Peter Jackson's stuff. I do like the first Hobbit a little better though, but the second did not disappoint.

I'm interested quite a lot in copyright systems and as far as I can see it, open content/source will pretty much "win" in the end. some first steps in that direction (concerning games):

https://freegamer.blogspot.de/

While those games won't compete with triple A titles, they boost creativity in game development.

Same goes for kickstarter (crowdfunding) projects - simply awesome whats going on there.

As for torrents' date=' while I don't really condone piracy (and the excuse of doing so for "demoing the game" - there's a reason why most companies offer legal demos themselves)' date=' a lot of people used those same sites to share completely legal stuff (there's even a site called LegalTorrents.com, which hosts, well, guess). Shutting down those sites will also shut down the users who share 100% legal content on the sites as collateral damage. Plus, most of the real action happens on private torrent sites, anyway.[/quote'']

I advocate piracy ... outside of --as a courtesy-- small arenas that already provide free content (e.g., mods on the Nexus, YouTube vids, software, etc.) ... but the latter is not strictly 'piracy', it is 'impolite'. Pay for nothing, trade and barter ;) (it only works if we eliminate the faux currency system though ... all in good time).

You should never advocate piracy in an open forum. You wouldn't steal a car!

... Well if that car is a cheap car owned by a multi millionaire (who earned his money tax free, sold his own grandma and is now trying to rip you off) and there was no way you could get caught - I think I could understand you :)