Issue with Batch files

exploiteddna

Question

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this (and if not, feel free to move it), but Im having trouble working through the vanilla texture optimizing using the STEP batch files and protocol.

I have all of the assets organized according to the instructions, have run the first batch file with the correct beginning and ending file/folder count (77116/2752 before running "HRDLC_Clean-START.bat"; 76395/2721 after)

this is the directory structure

------------------------------

>Working

---->Vanilla Extracted

--------->Dawnguard

--------->Dragonborn

--------->Hearthfires

--------->HRDLC1

--------->HRDLC2

--------->HRDLC3

--------->STD

---->Vanilla Normal Maps

---->Vanilla Optimized

---->Vanilla Textures

---->Vanilla Uncompressed Textures

The second batch file i run is "2_Pre-optimization.bat" -- since i dont have sufficient free space on my SSD, all of this is on my HDD, thus the execution of this batch file takes approx 10-15 minutes to complete.

Once complete, I check the log file. The wiki says that there should be 14 blank lines (17 blank lines according to the message in the batch file output). I have 71 blank lines.

The combined size of all contents in the 4 new folders (Vanilla Textures, Vanilla Normal Maps, Vanilla Uncompressed Normal Maps, Vanilla Optimized) should match the starting size of the files in 'Vanilla Extracted' (14.5gb-size on disk). My total size is 12.6gb (size on disk) -- [8.0gb Vanilla Textures; 3.22gb Vanilla Normal Maps; 1.38gb Vanilla Uncompressed Normal Maps; 18MB Vanilla Optimized]

So, this is where im stuck. Short of sifting through everything, file by file, to see which files have not been moved/processed, i dont really know what i should/can do at this point. Is there a way to get a detailed/debug log? Any help would be nice. Otherwise I'll just have to do everything manually.

I dont really need to do this since ive optimized the vanilla textures,the whole process many times over. Im very familiar with DDSopt and the principles and concepts of optimizing textures. Im merely trying to learn this new method of optimizing assets in order to be better informed with STEP and its protocols. So, i dont so much care about getting my textures optimized because the ones i use for my game have already been done with the old protocol. The reason I posted this in 2.2.7 bugs is because this protocol is new, i thought it was new as of 2.2.7

10 answers to this question

why was this moved to the ddsopt support forum? im not having problem with ddsopt, i was moreso trying to point out that there may be something wrong with the new protocol for optimizing vanilla assets (as ive been though this over and over and over, opened the batch file to make sure the code is right, opened my own elevated promt and then executed the batch from there, re-extracted all BSAs from scratch, etc. etc. So i have checked and double-checked my work and im exceedingly confident that I am not doing anything wrong. Thus the report in the bugs thread.

Well I gave you my video so hopefully that'll help you work out the kinks. I'd imagine it was moved to this support forum since it is a problem with DDSOpt sort of via the guide... I'm surprised they didn't move it to the guide itself (or leave it there if it was already).

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this (and if not, feel free to move it), but Im having trouble working through the vanilla texture optimizing using the STEP batch files and protocol.

I have all of the assets organized according to the instructions, have run the first batch file with the correct beginning and ending file/folder count (77116/2752 before running "HRDLC_Clean-START.bat"; 76395/2721 after)

this is the directory structure

>Working

>Vanilla Extracted

>Dawnguard

>Dragonborn

>Hearthfires

>HRDLC1

>HRDLC2

>HRDLC3

>STD

The second batch file i run is "2_Pre-optimization.bat" -- since i dont have sufficient free space on my SSD, all of this is on my HDD, thus the execution of this batch file takes approx 10-15 minutes to complete.

That's also what it takes on my computer

Once complete, I check the log file. The wiki says that there should be 14 blank lines (17 blank lines according to the message in the batch file output). I have 71 blank lines.

I'll check that; the main thing is to have the right number of files.

The combined size of all contents in the 4 new folders (Vanilla Textures, Vanilla Normal Maps, Vanilla Uncompressed Normal Maps, Vanilla Optimized) should match the starting size of the files in 'Vanilla Extracted' (14.5gb-size on disk). My total size is 12.6gb (size on disk) -- [8.0gb Vanilla Textures; 3.22gb Vanilla Normal Maps; 1.38gb Vanilla Uncompressed Normal Maps; 18MB Vanilla Optimized]

No. The DLC in Vanilla Extracted contains many non-texture files, and these are not copied; these resources are still in the DLC BSAs and they are used from there. After you run DDSopt the Vanilla Optimized folder should have the same number of files as the combination of the Vanilla Textures, Vanilla Normal Maps, and Vanilla Uncompressed Textures. The Vanilla Optimized folder size will be less than the combination of these three because of the file size reduction from optimization; the exact size depends on the DDSopt parameters you used. The file sizes you show for Vanilla Extracted, Vanilla Textures, Vanilla Normal Maps, and Vanilla Uncompressed Textures are all correct values. My Vanilla Optimized folder has 45,125 files and 1,192 folders and is 8.88 Gb.

The guide has a list of the folders in Vanilla Optimized and the number of files/folders in each folder.

I'll get a screenshot that shows all of the sizes and numbers of all the files/folders in the Working directory and the 7 subdirectories and put it into the guide.

The only value you list that seems odd is the folder size of Vanilla Optimized after you ran DDSopt.

So, this is where im stuck. Short of sifting through everything, file by file, to see which files have not been moved/processed, i dont really know what i should/can do at this point. Is there a way to get a detailed/debug log? Any help would be nice. Otherwise I'll just have to do everything manually

It looks like the "2_Pre-optimization.bat" batch file results are all correct. How many files are in Vanilla Optimized?

The combined size of all contents in the 4 new folders (Vanilla Textures, Vanilla Normal Maps, Vanilla Uncompressed Normal Maps, Vanilla Optimized) should match the starting size of the files in 'Vanilla Extracted' (14.5gb-size on disk). My total size is 12.6gb (size on disk) -- [8.0gb Vanilla Textures; 3.22gb Vanilla Normal Maps; 1.38gb Vanilla Uncompressed Normal Maps; 18MB Vanilla Optimized]

So, this is where im stuck. Short of sifting through everything, file by file, to see which files have not been moved/processed, i dont really know what i should/can do at this point. Is there a way to get a detailed/debug log? Any help would be nice. Otherwise I'll just have to do everything manually

ok kelmych thanks. i shouldve known better :facepalm: its all the other crap from the DLC BSA archives. so dumb.

what threw me off was that I was following the guide and it says to make sure that size of those folders is equal to the source.. which, now that you pointed out, i shouldve realized is not correct due to the other assets (meshes, sound, etc).

BAH! :facepalm:

from HERE (about 1/3 way down the page - in the "Notice" blurb):

"select newly created folders and check properties, when its size reaches the size of the "Vanilla Extracted" directory the process is almost finished."

ALSO: you said the Vanilla Optimized folder size seemed odd .. thats because i never ran DDSopt. I never moved to that step because the numbers werent matching after running the 2_Pre-optimization.bat batch file. And i know the guide shows the folders/directories that should be there, and everything was matching up. Everything but the data size, which was suggesting to me that some textures were not being robust-copied. But, we know now that everything is cool. :thumbsup:

Since it was unclear, the wording should be changed so that future readers won't have similar problems. Feel free to edit the guide to make it clearer or make some suggestions on what we should change to improve the descriptions in the guide and batch files; if you don't get a chance to do so, I'll do some editing to try to improve the discussion. I will add a screenshot of the folder details; that should help with several of the questions we have had recently.

I just removed all the extraneous assets from Vanilla Extracted and now all the numbers are checking out.

Since it was unclear' date=' the wording should be changed so that future readers won't have similar problems. Feel free to edit the guide to make it clearer or make some suggestions on what we should change to improve the descriptions in the guide and batch files; if you don't get a chance to do so, I'll do some editing to try to improve the discussion. I will add a screenshot of the folder details; that should help with several of the questions we have had recently.[/quote']

ok I can certainly do that. I can make some changes to the guide (wording suggestions) and then send them to you for approval?

ok, ive just made the edits.

the part about using the size of "Vanilla Extracted" as a comparison was removed. I provided an alternative method that can be used to check that the batch process is complete.

the other option would be to instruct users to delete all DLC assets from Vanilla Extracted except for the textures folder in each. Then the size comparison would work. The problem with this is that deleting those assets will throw off the total file count, which is used as a checkpoint a few steps before. Thus, i felt it was best to scrap that comparison and provide the alternative method of checking.

Is this sufficient?

i didnt really watch it yet. i thought it was a help video for optimizing textures, but my "issue" was with a specific portion of the guide itself -- getting my textures optimized was secondary. i have a feeling it won't really apply to what I was looking for. Nevertheless, I actually dont have the link anymore. i remember the password, but need the link. I'll watch it and let you know