S.T.E.P. Guide question.

LucidAPs

Question

Hello, there is something i've been wondering for some time now. In the step guide it says 

"Graphics mods that cannot be listed within their respective categories because they must be overwritten to achieve the desired result."

also

"Mods should be installed in the order that they are listed to ensure that mods further down the list overwrite those occurring before them. This is necessary to ensure the desired in-game effect. Mods are otherwise listed in alphabetical order within each section, and any deviations from this are purposeful to achieve the desired outcome."

And then at the 2.F. Conflicting Graphics we have 

Skyrim HD  1024 (LITE)    Only use the four Main files: "Dungeons", "Landscape", "Misc", and "Towns".

Serious HD  1024    Also install the optional Riften textures.

Skyrim Realistic Overhaul

So why do i install skyrim HD with landscapes when Serious HD will just overwrite it, and why install both Skyrim HD and Serious HD when Skyrim Realistic Overhaul will overwrite all of them? So am i missing something really obvious here? If so i apologize but i still would like some help.

8 answers to this question

I do believe that SRO does not overwrite all of the files supplied by Skyrim HD and Serious HD. Each contributes to the whole. Overwriting is much simpler though than going through and removing individual texture files.

:)

Yeah i get that, but these three are major overhaul mods come with huge sizes each. If i install SRO last i am 100% sure that nothing will be left from Serious HD and maybe like 50mb maximum will be left from Skyrim HD so this still feels really impractical to me. Example , installing Skyrim HD landscapes then installing Serious HD landscapes and then installing SRO landscapes makes no sense.

Size doesn't necessarily reflect contents there are THOUSANDS of textures and no one has done them all.

Skyrim HD Landscape textures 123

Serious HD Landscape textures 115

SRO Landscape textures 135

Serious HD overwrites 112 from skyrim HD so that leaves 11 textures from Skyrim HD and 113 textures from Serious HD

So now we have 124 landscape textures.

SRO overwrites all 124 landscape textures. With a new overall...yes you guessed it. 135 new textures all from SRO.

So yeah i think i made my point, so maybe the descriptions should be updated or i am still missing something.

Size doesn't necessarily reflect contents there are THOUSANDS of textures and no one has done them all.

Skyrim HD Landscape textures 123

Serious HD Landscape textures 115

SRO Landscape textures 135

Serious HD overwrites 112 from skyrim HD so that leaves 11 textures from Skyrim HD and 113 textures from Serious HD

So now we have 124 landscape textures.

SRO overwrites all 124 landscape textures. With a new overall...yes you guessed it. 135 new textures all from SRO.

So yeah i think i made my point, so maybe the descriptions should be updated or i am still missing something.

Ah well when you put it like THAT! ;)  I suppose you are right then.  Never delved that deeply into it, then again I use SRO and SRTO and prior to that just SRO.

SRO is the best overall quality IMHO.

The reason is still simply that its easier to just write a guide telling you to just overwrite, rather then writing a guide that says which individual textures you need to pick. And since nobody really have issues with space these days then I do not see an issue with it.

If we had to do it "right" and write up every single texture from every single pack then we would never get anything done other then that. And the guide would just explode in irrelevant information.

The reason is still simply that its easier to just write a guide telling you to just overwrite, rather then writing a guide that says which individual textures you need to pick. And since nobody really have issues with space these days then I do not see an issue with it.

If we had to do it "right" and write up every single texture from every single pack then we would never get anything done other then that. And the guide would just explode in irrelevant information.

Unfortunately i don't have the time to do the math and do more examples like the one i did above but i think it would at least be helpfull to put a message next to SRO that says you don't have to download and install 915mb of landscape textures from Skyrim HD and Serious HD if you install SRO. Or something smaller and more practical among these lines. But yes okey i see your point, anyway i just wanted to know the reason even if don't completely agree with it. Thank you for your time.

You mean like "Tree HD Variation" and it's list of textures to add for compatibility?  That was tedious to read and install that way, much less writing it.  That must have been fun! :wallbash: