STEP-Should we clean dirty edits?

1on1z3d

Question

I currently use S.T.E.P. v2.2.6 but I started the whole "let's mod Skyrim" task with Neovalen's Skyrim Revisited guide. So I would like to ask, whether I should clean dirty edits in mods from STEP accordingly to what SR suggests for these specific mods or not. In general, does STEP after completion or during its installation need to have its mods cleaned from dirty edits? Will the game be 100% stable without doing nothing more than what STEP orders? Will STEP work like it is supposed to if I combine SR with it(by cleaning mods that they have in common the way SR suggests to clean them)?

I 'm new in this forum so I really apologize if this has been answered before elsewhere.

3 answers to this question

Cleaning is usually good practice while running a modded Skyrim. And if you want to go a step further (pun not really intended), making those compatibility patches where you need them for the STEP mods in SR as Neo's guide does is also a good idea.

The vanilla game is not 100% stable. It is a massive open world game, those are always going to have issues. When you start to add mods to the list it will always become more unstable, it is the sad fact of the matter.

You might be able to play for several hours at a time, but every now and again the game will freeze or crash.

In general for cleaning you can think of it this way.

All cleaning does is to remove entries in a mod that are completely identical to the games master files. Hence it should not break or cause any instability that you remove those entries. Why it does for certain mods is a bit of a riddle and I think that most of the time this is due to the fact that said mods include its own resources, and then link to specific entries inside the mod, instead of the master.