Textures to downsize to avoid 3gb CTD?

DoYouEvenModBro

Question

I am currently crashing around Falkreath with system RAM reaching 3.05gb or so

I have done the following to eliminate the problem in other high-texture areas but obviously it wasn't enough

1.) Downloaded HD DLC Optimized (Hybrid 1024 + 2048)

2.) Downloaded Optional Vurt's 2k LOD

3.) Downloaded Vurt's 4k High-Res Pines instead of 8k version

4.) Resized big three texture packs (2k/Serious/SRO) in Optimizer Textures to 1k

Everything else has been extreme step and have used the max resolutions available (GPU: 7970 3gb)

What else do I need to do? 

I'm thinking the following could possibly work

1.) Eliminate the 4k High res pines and just use whatever the default is with Vurt's main Flora Overhaul file (using 1.179e)

2.) Use TreesHD High instead of Ultra

Any other ideas? 

Are you also using mods like realistic mushrooms?

Those are 2k initially and they do contribute in wooded areas.

In general all mods that replace something in the exteriors you can downsize, or normal downsize to reduce the texture load.

In general I find it sounds strange that you hit that if you have in fact done what you say you have done.

Will check out Falkreath and surrounding later tonight and see what I get in that region.

Are you also using mods like realistic mushrooms?

Those are 2k initially and they do contribute in wooded areas.

In general all mods that replace something in the exteriors you can downsize, or normal downsize to reduce the texture load.

In general I find it sounds strange that you hit that if you have in fact done what you say you have done.

Will check out Falkreath and surrounding later tonight and see what I get in that region.

Thanks. That would help me compare. Yea, I'm surprised I still get crashes as well. Travel to Falkreath and just run up to the nearby nordic ruins or something and let me know if you crash.

No crashes but the memory use is similar... around the 3Gb point. Rather impressive I have to admit.

Ran directly from helgen to Falkreath and then ran about the entire area... did not notice any textures missing or any other issues that normally happen.

I guess if scripts etc. have to happen there then it might be a bit too much.

However the good ol save and reload from menu does force the game to unload all unneeded stuff. You could try to do that once in that region and see if that solves the issue.

No crashes but the memory use is similar... around the 3Gb point. Rather impressive I have to admit.

Ran directly from helgen to Falkreath and then ran about the entire area... did not notice any textures missing or any other issues that normally happen.

I guess if scripts etc. have to happen there then it might be a bit too much.

However the good ol save and reload from menu does force the game to unload all unneeded stuff. You could try to do that once in that region and see if that solves the issue.

What have you done to downsize textures? Similar to what I've done? Or even more? And do you mean load my save, quit to the main menu, then reload it?

I have even more downsized then you do since I have more stuff on then you do I guess.

But as we established in other threads here then the number 3Gb etc. is not representative for the actual use so it is not just that. 

And I mean just save your game... quit to menu and reload it. This forces the game to unload all entries from other cells you have visited that are no longer required. 

This is especially effective if you traveled by foot through a lot of really complex cells.... which the heavily wooded areas are. 

I have even more downsized then you do since I have more stuff on then you do I guess.

But as we established in other threads here then the number 3Gb etc. is not representative for the actual use so it is not just that. 

And I mean just save your game... quit to menu and reload it. This forces the game to unload all entries from other cells you have visited that are no longer required. 

This is especially effective if you traveled by foot through a lot of really complex cells.... which the heavily wooded areas are. 

I don't think that'll work then cause my save is in falkreath at the moment so there are no ther cells to unload. It crashes like 2 min after I start playing. I tried loading the save outside and inside the main hall. 

Have you made sure that the issue is in fact due to memory issues, and not because of some spawning of animals etc ?

Try to disable the texture packs and only use vanilla textures. Since no esp´s are altered doing that you do not do anything to damage your saves.

Also next time you make a thread.... do not use such a long title :P 

Have you made sure that the issue is in fact due to memory issues, and not because of some spawning of animals etc ?

Try to disable the texture packs and only use vanilla textures. Since no esp´s are altered doing that you do not do anything to damage your saves.

Ha, yea, sorry about that. I didn't realize this would happen with long titles. Anyway, I am pretty positive that it is due to memory issues because everytime I CTD, it goes above 3 gb memory. This happened in other areas too but after I got RAM usage below 3 gb by reducing texture size, the CTDs stopped. The Falkreath area is the only area that remains that pushes RAM usage up this high. Other areas that have in the past are outside Windhelm by the docks and Dragons Bridge. 

So I tried disabling all three texture packs. No crash. Max ram is 2.8. After I reinstall all three texture packs (still at 1k), I get a crash. RAM got up to 3.098 :-/. This only happens at falkreath. The texture packs aren't even adding that much ram. Something else has to be causing it. Do you think it's 4k tress HD or 4k high-res pines?

I haven't had the chance to even look at Skyrim for a long while, but based on my recollections of testing a while back, those memory numbers strike me as very high without texture packs.  Are you sure you don't have any raised settings lurking in the ini files - ugrids, cell buffers, etc?

EDIT: Renamed thread, as MyBB was being an arse about the character length.

I haven't had the chance to even look at Skyrim for a long while, but based on my recollections of testing a while back, those memory numbers strike me as very high without texture packs.  Are you sure you don't have any raised settings lurking in the ini files - ugrids, cell buffers, etc?

EDIT: Renamed thread, as MyBB was being an arse about the character length.

I'm positive. The only .ini tweak i did that STEP doesn't have is the waterreflectheight/width/whatever it was from 512 to 1024.

I only use 512 in water, since the difference in quality is so small that it is not even worth talking about.

Even less if you are using WATER. It is just a waste of resources.

Also well try to reduce the texture size of stuff like mushrooms, and trees etc.

Also if you are using Automatic Variants then make sure that the textures here are also only 1k for forest animals like foxes etc. Or you can very quickly run dry in those heavily forested areas where there are alot of detail.

I only use 512 in water, since the difference in quality is so small that it is not even worth talking about.

Even less if you are using WATER. It is just a waste of resources.

Also well try to reduce the texture size of stuff like mushrooms, and trees etc.

Also if you are using Automatic Variants then make sure that the textures here are also only 1k for forest animals like foxes etc. Or you can very quickly run dry in those heavily forested areas where there are alot of detail.

I'm not using AV but I'm going to try to change Trees HD from 4k to 2k. I'm sure that has a big part of it. Do you use Vurt's high-res pines? I tried using the 4k version but I'm going to try the default. Is the default 2k? or 1k?