Textures to downsize to avoid 3gb CTD?

DoYouEvenModBro

Question

I am currently crashing around Falkreath with system RAM reaching 3.05gb or so

I have done the following to eliminate the problem in other high-texture areas but obviously it wasn't enough

1.) Downloaded HD DLC Optimized (Hybrid 1024 + 2048)

2.) Downloaded Optional Vurt's 2k LOD

3.) Downloaded Vurt's 4k High-Res Pines instead of 8k version

4.) Resized big three texture packs (2k/Serious/SRO) in Optimizer Textures to 1k

Everything else has been extreme step and have used the max resolutions available (GPU: 7970 3gb)

What else do I need to do? 

I'm thinking the following could possibly work

1.) Eliminate the 4k High res pines and just use whatever the default is with Vurt's main Flora Overhaul file (using 1.179e)

2.) Use TreesHD High instead of Ultra

Any other ideas? 

For every 4k texture you use... you could be using about 13 1k ones.

I hope that answers it! ;)

What do the 4k mountains do? Every single mountain rock? That's probably overridden by ultra rocks 4k and/or AOF detailed mountains, right? So I can probably get rid of SRO 4096 mountains then.

There are only 2 mountain textures and their corresponding normal maps... As far as I know they only cover the actual mountains, the rocks etc are covered by langleys texture pack.

Ultra rocks I believe is only for interiors (if it is the same ultra rocks mod that I use anyways), where you can use more 4k textures with no issues since there are not as many details in caves and interiors.

There are only 2 mountain textures and their corresponding normal maps... As far as I know they only cover the actual mountains, the rocks etc are covered by langleys texture pack.

Ultra rocks I believe is only for interiors (if it is the same ultra rocks mod that I use anyways), where you can use more 4k textures with no issues since there are not as many details in caves and interiors.

Aiyen, I think we're PMing and speaking here about the same thing so I'll just keep it here, haha. Which one is Langley's texture pack?

Also just realized that Rocks Ultra (btw this is the mod i'm talking about when I say that - https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1382/?) and AOF mountains cover the exact same 4 textures. Why are we using both? Just for the snow in the snow and rocks mod?

They both replace:

Mountainslab01 and normal

Mountainslab02 and normal

So I uninstalled the 4k high-res pines for SFO and then did "anneal all" in wrye bash in order to make sure everything was fine. I started playing, noticed SUBSTANTIALLY lower RAM usage (2.6 around falkreath vs like 3.061 with 4k pines) but I think something messed up because some pines still look really good and others look awful.

Look at this screenshot.

https://i.imgur.com/h3ZPwE1.jpg

The pines on the left are incredibly low res but the ones on the right are high res. What happened?

Curious... one would think that the two there would share the same texture.

My guess would be that one of those is from a bush... which have different textures then the trees. If you reduced everything in the tress folder then you most likely also reduced the texture with the branches which would explain what you are seeing.

You should be able to just take the old texture file and replace it manually and get the higher resolution back for that single texture.

My guess would be that one of those is from a bush... which have different textures then the trees. If you reduced everything in the tress folder then you most likely also reduced the texture with the branches which would explain what you are seeing.

You should be able to just take the old texture file and replace it manually and get the higher resolution back for that single texture.

Should I just uninstall and reinstall SFO? I didn't downsize anything. I just removed the high-res pines optional and reinstalled SFO and did anneal all

EDIT: I reinstalled SFO. Does this look normal for the default pines? Seems like too large of a decrease from 4/2k to 2/1k. Honestly looks like vanilla textures.

https://i.imgur.com/vw8BSmG.jpg

So I uninstalled the 4k high-res pines for SFO and then did "anneal all" in wrye bash in order to make sure everything was fine. I started playing, noticed SUBSTANTIALLY lower RAM usage (2.6 around falkreath vs like 3.061 with 4k pines) but I think something messed up because some pines still look really good and others look awful.

Look at this screenshot.

The pines on the left are incredibly low res but the ones on the right are high res. What happened?

Should I just uninstall and reinstall SFO? I didn't downsize anything. I just removed the high-res pines optional and reinstalled SFO and did anneal all

EDIT: I reinstalled SFO. Does this look normal for the default pines? Seems like too large of a decrease from 4/2k to 2/1k. Honestly looks like vanilla textures.

I think you'll have that problem alot as you get closer to trees. I've noticed that up close trees leaves look like that no matter what res I use I assume the ones on the left are closer than the ones on the right.

Look at this screenshot.

I think you'll have that problem alot as you get closer to trees. I've noticed that up close trees leaves look like that no matter what res I use I assume the ones on the left are closer than the ones on the right.
They are both right in front of me but the right one is a different type of pine. Might be a bush. 

So call me a cheepo, but I just ran ddsopt on my MO-folder with 2k res-limit for diffuse and 1k res-limit for normals. Before I would CTD closing in on Whiterun from Riverwood at 3.2 GB, afterwards I run smoothly at 2.2 GB RAM usage. In Windhelm my RAM doesn't go above 2.5 GB RAM, which is safe enough for me. I'll only be sure whether those places are stable when I play the battles of those regions during the civil war campaign. But for the normal game I should be more than fine.

Mind you: I have removed broken .dds files (128 bytes size) and the reroute files from Automatic variants. and then copied the optimized files from my working directory over the unoptimized files in MO directory. I didn't touch AV though.

Still my MO directory size went from 36.6 GB to 30.3 GB. Fair enough for me!