Cannot Fus Ro Dah

Gygaxxor

Question

Hello, i'm having an issue early on in game (Dragon Rising) with shouts not working.

As in the Fus-Ro-Dah shout has no effect, and no animation. 

I have my first dragon soul, I picked up the word of power from Bleakfalls, and the shout is equipped. 

My cooldown is triggered, the sound file for the character is triggered, but not the sound for effect of the shout.

So the character will say "FUS" and goes through the motions, but cannot knock a butterfly out of the sky or a rabbit off the road.  

If I load Skyrim without mods, the shout will of course work just as expected. 

I'm stumped.

I am using Step 2.2.5 with Mod Organizer.

On the surface, I cannot tell which mod would affect the Shouts in such a way. 

Specifically, FUS RO DAH. 

This also prevents the main quest from progressing. 

When visiting the Grey Beards, I can't hit the targets to prove I am Dragonborn. 

I used commands to progress the quest till I received Whirlwind Sprint, and I was able to use that Shout as expected. 

However, I don't want to play the entire game that way! 

I have reverted to earlier saves and new characters with no change in outcome.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time!

For those troubleshooting, there are easier ways to test this bug than going all the way up to High Hrothgar. After killing the first dragon, the guards will talk about dragonborn. You receive the optional quest to shout (and impress the guards). If this bug is present, you will be unable to complete that optional quest (and the guard will continue to ask you to demonstrate your shout).

I had this bug, but it manifested a little differently for me. I could use Unrelenting Force, and it did affect other things in the game (pushing wolves back, making leaves fly up, etc). However, as noted, any quest related to it will not trigger correctly. Additionally, at least for me, the visual effect did not play. The cooldown bar activates, both visually and effectively, and the word can be heard, but the blue swirl does not emanate from the player.

Removing the breakable bottle mod restored full functionality, including the visual effect.

I second the request to remove that mod from STEP until a fix is released.

I recall now having some problems with this optional quest as well before. It worked after quite a few tries, but I didn't know what was going on. The issue seems to be intermittent.

I also vouch for DBE to be removed from STEP until the fix is released, if that ever happens.