CTD Problems + System Memory Question

dem1an

Question

I finally completed the clean installation of STEP/Skyrim Revisited + SkyRe, et. al.  I'm getting random CTD's.  Sometimes entering new spaces, sometimes randomly.  BTW, the game looks gorgeous and has good FPS.  I'm doing a Stendarr priest alternate start and I want to play!

I have Win 7 64-bit and a decent HD7900 video card, no overclocking.  I've loaded mostly 1K (objects) and 2K graphics (landscape).  I'm wondering if my 6GB of system memory is the source of trouble.  What's the best way to tell if this is causing these issues?  How much system memory is ideal?  Of course, it could be a problem with something I've installed or a step I missed.  I do have 300+ installed mods, but it's this site's fault I have this many!

I did try taking out the Z fighting edits and the LargeIntRefCount to see if this was causing it.

There's a thread going on here about CTDs when Skyrim is using ~3gb RAM. You could try running Skyrim Performance Monitor or Elys MemInfo to see how much RAM Skyrim is currently using up as you may be yet another 'victim'.

Thanks for the apps, Vond.  Exactly what I was interested in.  

The link too should be good.   

What do you believe to be a decent amount of system memory?  I could pick up another 6GB of memory for about $50 or I could try to do more.

>>I just read about the 3.1GB rule of thumb. I'm guessing 6GB may be enough.

6gb should be good, though extra never hurts. Got 8gb myself. Keep in mind windows uses quite a bit even if you're not really doing something though, I believe I'm at 2gb used after my computer has just booted up - so 6gb *might* be cutting it close.

I did hit 3013MB going into the Jarl's hall in Dawnstar. I didn't crash, but some of the textures were black. I went back outside and then back in and the game crashed. I think you are right about the 3GB barrier being my problem. I'm going to try optimize everything over 2K as the thread suggests.

Yup black textures means you do not have enough memory to load in everything. And then the game will CTD shortly after.

If you are using 2k exterior textures mainly, then reduce their normal maps (_n.dds) to 1k size. This free up a lot of memory.

When you optimize then most 1k textures should be about 1.3Mb and most 2k about 5.7Mb a piece. Unless it is a special combination texture like certain foilage use.

I did hit 3013MB going into the Jarl's hall in Dawnstar. I didn't crash but some of the textures were black. I went back outside and then back in and the game crashed. I think you are right about the 3GB barrier being my problem. I'm going to try optimize everything over 2K as the thread suggests.

Did you try getting rid of the largereferencecount (or whatever it's called) ini tweak? Try this before you pin it on the 3gb Ram issue.

Thanks.  I did have that removed that as well as removing the z-fighting tweaks. I actually put it back in just to see if it would help.

I reduced all the textures to less than 2K using Optimizer Textures by AdPimpino to no avail. I reduced my total mod size by 1GB, form 32.1 to 31.1GB.

Per Aiyen, I'm going to try finding normals that are above 2MB and target/reduce some to 1K unless someone has a better strategy.

Bummer. I just tried optimizing the SRO normals.

I think I read somewhere that AV requires quite a bit of RAM. I'm wondering if there is some way to measure what files are being utilized in the 3GB...kind of like a task manager -- then focus on those mods.

It seems like the number just gets bigger and bigger as you traverse into more areas. It doesn't seem like the memory is being properly freed.