Large panel 27"+ Gaming Monitor recommendations

Neovalen

Looking to replace my triple screen displays with a single large panel (black level sucks on two of the panels).

I'm thinking an IPS display may be optimal for best image quality and I'm generally not a twitch gamer. What do you guys think?

Heard from Coding Horror that you can shop around on Ebay and get Korean IPS displays new for fairly affordable prices. Try seraching for "crossover ips" there.

EDIT: Maybe this one would be what your're looking for? Cheapest HDMI compatible one I found (there are DVI-D ones for less if you don't care about HDMI). Replace the Korean power cable with the apporiate one for your country, and you've got a really good display. Just keep in mind that there might not be OSD controls on these. Also, replace the stands with monitor arms, the stands are not that great.

Then what about this display? $355' date=' no shipping costs, and you can buy it now if you want. Also, it's quite new.[/quote']

"Defective Pixel (Include Dead/Stuck/Sub Pixel ) : 3 maximum"

It's a bit of a hit and miss with these panels.

I have a Hazro HZ27WC (European model, no longer in production) that is based on the same LG panel, although higher graded, and they're not perfect.

For what I do, it's excellent, but they're definitely not for everyone. With that said, the increase in resolution and pixel density is greatly noticeable.

I run two 17'' monitors in 1440x900 (basically, they form a 24' screen together) - however, I might be willing to sacrifce that for a IPS display, when and if I can afford the cost. For what it is, it seems like a good monitor, through if I'm going that big, I'm going to need a bigger graphics card if I want to run Skyrim + STEP at the resolution of these monitors...

What would you recommend hardware wise if I were to go and get a 27'' panel right now? Do I have to upgrade my processor (AMD A10), graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 6870), both, or neither? However, upgrading the processer outside of the Fusion line will require me to upgrade my motherboard, so I'd like to avoid that.

I run two 17'' monitors in 1440x900 (basically, they form a 24' screen together) - however, I might be willing to sacrifce that for a IPS display, when and if I can afford the cost. For what it is, it seems like a good monitor, through if I'm going that big, I'm going to need a bigger graphics card if I want to run Skyrim + STEP at the resolution of these monitors...

What would you recommend hardware wise if I were to go and get a 27'' panel right now? Do I have to upgrade my processor (AMD A10), graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 6870), both, or neither? However, upgrading the processer outside of the Fusion line will require me to upgrade my motherboard, so I'd like to avoid that.

Just the graphics card. Radeon 7950/70s do extremely well at this resolution if you're not a freak about anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion or similarly taxing graphical settings.

$750 can buy you one of these:

Dell U2913WM - excellent monitor for movies and games that support the odd resolution - e.g. anything that doesn't run at fixed ratio. 21:9 ratio is almost like having two 5:4 monitors stuck together.

Here's the size comparison of a 27" 2560x1440 monitor to the 29" 2560x1080 one.

I'd only recommend it to people that play new games and watch a lot of movies on their PCs. For that, it's an excellent choice, and the relatively small increase in resolution won't be too taxing on the GPU (2.3m pixels vs 2.07m on a standard widescreen monitor).

I would also advise taking a look at the AOC 29" monitor that most likely utilises the same panel and costs a whopping $125 less.

IMHO the current best choice on the market is Dell U2713HM. For $650 it's a no-brainer, the customer service Dell provides is second to none (at least when it comes to their premium grade monitors), and it has everything you might possibly want from a general purpose monitor. Mind you, the pixel density difference is quite noticeable at first, 109 PPI against 90-100 PPI on most monitors.

A good alternative would be the Asus PB278Q, which uses a Samsung PLS panel (all 27" IPS monitors use the LG panels AFAIK). It's around the same price as Dell U2713HM and has a few advantages over it (but it isn't flawless).