DynDOLOD mountain rules to have minimum/no lod switch

Shizof

Question

Hi, I have some headroom, and I'm trying to get Full mountain models as much as possible to prevent mountain/cliff meshes to switch from Level0 to Full right in front of me.

I ran dyndolod so many times, but I can't seem to get working Full(in LOD4 level) + LOD in other levels or Full in all levels so that no lod used at all etc.

If I select Full in any of the LOD level settings in dyndolod mesh rules, I get full white or almost no mesh mountains.

For example, with these settings: 

mountain   - Full, Level1, Level 2, Level 0, WWD, FarLOD, Replace : I get this white mountains. when I get close, they turn normal. I used this back then with no issues, but it's not good now.

I feel like this has something to do with the simplicity of snow shaders etc. But I'm not sure because it works great everywhere unless full models are tried to be used at LOD levels.

I also tried Full, Full, Full, Level0, WWD, FarFull, Unchanged, this works better with what I want but when I do this, the mountains get white models until they are somewhat close. They are fine after, but it happens each time the game is opened. Also this is more taxing than I want.

I tried many combinations with Full in some, FarFull, full in all etc. but I can only get no bug mountains if I use 

mountain - Level0, Level1, Level2, Level0, WWD, FarLOD, Unchanged

which has Full to Level0 switch at LOD4 level I'm trying to avoid.

I even tried these settings:

mountain  - None, None, None, Level 0, WWD, NeverFadeFull, Unchanged: I get this smoothed mesh mountains with no rocks.

Do you know of a good mesh rule to use Full model in most of the LOD levels without these mesh problems? I think I can find it if I spend a few more days running combinations, but I thought I should ask first.

In the mean time I'll run dyndolod with other Reference settings like "KeepBoth" to see if there is any difference.

Edit: I tried KeepBoth with Full, Full, Level0, Level0 etc. and it had the same white mountains issue.

I tried mountain - Full, Full, Full, Level0, No flags, NeverFadeFull, Copy and it seems to fix the white mountains bug. Of course all the mountains are now full model (I'll try more to see if I can do the same with distant lod), but I think the issue was the use of VWD flag? I also set similar settings for "cliff", but I still see some mountain cliffs change when I get close. I'm not sure why that happens.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Shizof

1 answer to this question

No logs have been provided.

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Snow-Ash-LOD-Shader
The HD shaders make use of the vertex color alpha value. It controls the intensity. A value of 0.0 is low while 1.0 is high. The vanilla game uses ~0.4 for light snow (object LOD meshes ending in *l.NIF) and ~0.5 for heavy snow (object LOD meshes ending in *h.NIF) .

The first screenshot shows that the full models vertex color alpha channel does not have the expected values for the HD snow LOD shader. It probably sets 1.0. You would need to make actual LOD models that replace the vanilla LOD models including the ones with the l and h indicators. However, LOD models that have triangles sharing the same 3D space will flicker considerable for a brief second as usual.

The second screenshot shows what rule defines: only have a LOD model in Level 32 and use NeverFadeFull in case the reference can not have object LOD. For a test set a rule for mountains with VWD, None to all object Levels, NeverFadeFull and Original. It may still work if setting Level 32 to something, but atm you might have to do a second generation to get the desired LOD Level 32 object LOD meshes for the map.

Typically, not setting the VWD flag means a rule is not applied if a LOD model exists. See https://dyndolod.info/Help/Mesh-Mask-Reference-Rules#VWD-Visible-When-Distant