Best way to adjust the default field of view (FOV)?

peppergomez

Question

Just curious what the best way to permanently tweak the in-game FOV is. I play 1st person only and find that I'd like to increase it a bit more, maybe to 80.

Also, would doing this place the weapons a bit further away from my "body" in terms of camera perspective? I find it a bit jarring not to be able to see the tops of the short swords- it feels like I'm holding them too close. 

If tweaking the in-game FOV won't do this, is there a best practices method for achieving this?

Thanks.

11 answers to this question

Just curious what the best way to permanently tweak the in-game FOV is. I play 1st person only and find that I'd like to increase it a bit more, maybe to 80.

Beware the clipping when coming close to other actors/objects. Also a too big FOV will lead to a fish-bowl view.

Also, would doing this place the weapons a bit further away from my "body" in terms of camera perspective? I find it a bit jarring not to be able to see the tops of the short swords- it feels like I'm holding them too close. 

Yes, it would.

If tweaking the in-game FOV won't do this, is there a best practices method for achieving this?

Thanks.

For my 16:9 monitor it was 68 as far as I remember. I play with 75 and I find it perfect. Sometimes I notice slight stretching of objects/actors/whatever's on the screen - when they come right to the edge of my screen (that's where the fisheye effect starts). It's not disturbing though, and I only see it when I remember it's there :)

For config I'd recommend using little program called Skyrim Configurator (easily found on Nexus) or just console command set fov to XX, where XX is the 2-digit value.

Just adjusting it using the console isn't so bad if you don't feel like messing around in the ini files. It usually stays the same unless I start a new game. Plus, it isn't that inconvenient for me to just type fov *whatever your preference is* in the console. I personally use 75/76 using my 16:9 monitor. Agree with rootstrat that that is about perfect.