New worldspace mods "optimisation"?

godescalcus

Question

Hi Sheson. Would there be any advantage to "tweaking" new worldspace mods to limit the amount of empty cells? I'm playing with a few mods that add small settlements, an island or sometimes a single house to a new worldspace. Sometimes these worldspaces have a "reasonable size", like, for an island, 3 or 4 empty ocean cells around the ones that matter, making a wordspace going from -5  to +5 x and y, with only the central 3x3 being the island. In other cases, I've found "absurd" sized worlds where, for the same amount of developed space, a worldspace of 30x30 or 40x40 cells is used, with nothing on them.

When running xLODGen and DynDOLOD on these worlds, how much do these empty cells bloat the output, if at all? Should I expect any improvement if I "trimmed" those worldspaces of useless empty cells and kept things tighter around the centre? For a mod that doesn't have any heights that you can look from into the distance, 3-4 cells seems enough to maintain the illusion of a distant horizon. Of course, I'd look carefully at the mod making sure no references exist beyond the new bounds. DynDOLOD would probably kick me if I didn't, anyway :P

1 answer to this question

Object LOD is made from references. The amount of cells does not really matter. Empty cells generate flat terrain or water LOD. Which only takes seconds to generate and does not really cost that much of performance to render. You should not wonder if 30x30 cells is different to 40x40 in case of LOD. That is the same in terms of LOD level 32 that covers 32x32 cells anyways.

• +1 1