CTD in Solitude area exploration/Solitude area map open with DynDOLOD

ElevenZeroSix

Question

Hello gentlemen. I know this sort of post is exhausting to go through, but I didn't know where else to go.
I recently have had lots of trouble in the Solitude area, I keep getting CTDs either while exploring or once I open the map. It's my first time to explore the region, and I managed to determine that the culprit is DynDOLOD. When deactivated, the game works fine.
I've reinstalled DynDOLOD multiple times, namely using GamerPoets guide as well as an oldReddit guide that only adds one step before the DynDOLOD Resources step and that's to add SSELODGen to the mix.
I'm at my wits end with this and have been exploring forums for the past 48 hours to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

(for some reason there was no bugreport.txt file in the DynDOLOD folder so I included some CrashLogger logs)

DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt crash-2022-11-13-14-10-56.log CrashLogger.log

5 answers to this question

Something is going wrong with billboard textures being used directly instead of being put/used on the atlas.

You can see from the crash report at the well documented address SkyrimSE.exe+0D6DDDA and the stack that it lists TEXTURES\terrain\LODGen\Skyrim.esm\TreePineForestSnowL02_0005D2DA.dds
The Crash happens because its resolution is either not power of 2 or a multiple of 4.

It might be used by the object LOD mesh Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Objects\Tamriel.4.-48.24.BTO mentioned in the stack. (Rhere most likely will be several more BTO doing this)
It should not be used directly, but on the object LOD atlas, where its resolution doesn't matter. From the provided logs I can not determine why it happens.

Use the legal game version. Do not install DynDOLOD into any game folders.

I suggest to use DynDOLOD 3 Alpha instead. Do not install any third party billboards and let TexGen generate them instead.

20 hours ago, sheson said:

Something is going wrong with billboard textures being used directly instead of being put/used on the atlas.

You can see from the crash report at the well documented address SkyrimSE.exe+0D6DDDA and the stack that it lists TEXTURES\terrain\LODGen\Skyrim.esm\TreePineForestSnowL02_0005D2DA.dds
The Crash happens because its resolution is either not power of 2 or a multiple of 4.

It might be used by the object LOD mesh Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Objects\Tamriel.4.-48.24.BTO mentioned in the stack. (Rhere most likely will be several more BTO doing this)
It should not be used directly, but on the object LOD atlas, where its resolution doesn't matter. From the provided logs I can not determine why it happens.

Use the legal game version. Do not install DynDOLOD into any game folders.

I suggest to use DynDOLOD 3 Alpha instead. Do not install any third party billboards and let TexGen generate them instead.

You, sir, are a GENIUS!

I went into the MCM, turned off DynDOLOD, went into an interior cell, saved, closed the game and removed all DynDOLOD elements including Indistinguishable Billboards, opened the game and loaded the save, saved again to have a "DynDOLOD-less" save, exited, installed the new DynDOLOD v3 Resources, didn't install Indistinguishable Billboards this time, but followed up with TexGEN and DynDOLOD v3 using your video guides (no different from what I used to do but I used your preferred installation settings, with glow LODs and such), opened the game again, applied the Large Reference Fix for good measure, and boom!! It works like a charm.

Been testing for multiple hours to make sure there were no CTDs anymore, so apologies for the lateness of my reply. I know stuff like this might come in handy for whoever has a similar problem in the future.
One interesting thing that DynDOLOD notified me about during installation was to remove EVLaSS's Underside patch, since it's somehow integrated now. Maybe that was causing some sort of issue in the v2? I doubt it, but I'm glad the new installer notifies you about stuff like this now.

Once again, thank you so much sheson, you've been an incredible help!

Greetings,

I currently got the same looking trouble message : "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" at 0x7FF7A7B8DDDA SkyrimSE.exe+0D6DDDA    mov dword ptr [rax+0x20], 0x01

Searching and trying to resolve it for about 1 week. I'm using the very last DynDOLOD alpha3 with v3 Resources and followed the very same ElevenZeroSix's way to clean and reload DynDOLOD. Also used FallrimTools to clean my saved game, watched GamerPoets tutorial step by step. I can't reach Whiterun, anymore with or without DynDOLOD activated. Completely desperate to find an issue to that because my game even CTD without DynDOLOD. Please, find below my CrashLoggers, the first one was token after all the possible cleanings and updates :

crash-2022-12-16-03-25-08.log crash-2022-12-15-23-01-57.log crash-2022-12-12-11-12-01.log crash-2022-12-12-09-46-48.log crash-2022-12-12-06-42-17.log crash-2022-12-12-06-10-57.log

If a crash happens without DynDOLOD output in the load order, then DynDOLOD has nothing to do with the crash.

When using 1.5.97 use the .Net Script Framework Crash log.

The CTD at address D6DDDA is well documented and explained. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/articles/3031
It is either a Windows virtual memory problem or a corrupt texture. The corrupt texture can typically be found in the crash log. The NIF using the texture is often mentioned as well. .Net Script Framework might have the form ids of the involved records.

You're right and I spent your time for nothing, sorry for that.

In every crash logs, there was a different "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" at 0x7FF7A7B8DDDA SkyrimSE.exe+0D6DDDA around BSResource::`anonymous namespace'::LooseFileStream  and I previously though it was due to DynDOLOD, but it was most of all due to my ignorance.

After lots of diverses tests around virtual memory/ mods textures/ ssEdit for conflicts and many updates, the trouble was still present.

Fortunately, I made a backup of my 1.5.97 last year and except a little trouble around skse 2.0.20, everything came back in order. I still didn't test everywhere ofc and the trouble may be back...

Sorry again for this hitch and thank you for your patience around the inferior soul of me ^_^'

Regards,

Devo.