lod transition to full model question

MisterMorden

Question

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, but I'm noticing lately that the lods for rocks in my game seem to turn black for a second before the full model loads.  The textures match perfectly for the lods and the full models, the issue only seems to happen during the transition from one to the other.  I know that there will always be some visual artifact when a lod deactivates and the full model replaces it but I hadn't noticed anything becoming totally black during that period before now.  Could having many mods that utilize a lot of resources cause this type of issue?  That was my thought because as I mentioned the textures before and after the transition seem to be a perfect match.  Thanks in advance for any info or insight, and again my apologies if I should have posted somewhere else in the support section.

3 answers to this question

Black textures can happen when all video memory is used up. Check VRAM memory usage. Reduce texture resolutions for example.

There is no actual transition between LOD and full models. Full models load, LOD models are turned off. They two distinct independent meshes.

• Thanks 1

So, apparently a mod I was using to "remove" the rock moss or lichen texture from the rocks was causing a momentary black (lack of, maybe?) texture when at the distance where it usually renders onto the rock.  This is why it was only affecting certain rock piles, I'd guess.  I installed a mod that improves this texture instead of just "removing" it and this seems to have resolved my problem.  Just wanted to let you know what panned out, thanks again for all your help!