Upgrading Step v2.2.1 to 2.2.2

AsheRayne

Question

I'm brand new to step as of a week or so ago.  I just managed to recently (yesterday) get my game to run stable, and I see that they've moved to 2.2.2.  What is the best and safest way to keep my current game and move to 2.2.2? Is there a guide or a process to be followed, as it said updates will now be bi-weekly?  

3 answers to this question

It's going to be very difficult to update STEP unless you're using a mod manager such as WB or MO, but once you're using one of those it's incredibly simple. Before I delve too deep into either, are you referring to updating the mod files themselves or being able to use the same savegame between releases?

Using the same savegame between releases. I have MO, but I'm still doing my first playthrough of Skyrim. I've managed to get the game MOSTLY stable (I'm still having random ctds, MOSTLY in caves/dungeons that I THINK is related to the wearable lanterns mod, though I can't figure out why. I have had a random ctd at dawnstar, and once at falkreath). I'd like to keep step up to date, but I don't feel it's feasible to start the game over every two weeks, :-)

Adding new mods generally won't introduce new problems (STEP mods anyways, since we test for incompatibilities), and removing purely graphical mods won't hurt anything either since they're just textures. What you need to pay attention to is removing anything with an ESP.  You can follow these instructions on our Troubleshooting Guide to properly rid your savegame of the ESP changes.  It could do with a re-write but it really shouldn't be as much of a trouble as it looks.  You can also do it once for all your mods, so you don't need to repeat it for each one.