Cannot exit items menu

I cannot exit the inventory menu. Sort of.

I have followed the complete STEP guide to mod Skyrim Anniversary Edition. Everything works fine but there is one problem: I cannot exit the items menu.
Now that is not completely true: when I open the items menu, I cannot simply exit it using the back key (using a controller in this scenario with "back" mapped to B)

In order to exit the items menu, I need to switch to the magic menu where I can use the back button to exit the menu. Though this does raise some problems as Skyrim's standard controller binding uses the B button for both back and power/shout, meaning that whenever I open the items menu, I change to the magic menu and press B to exit it, it then exits the menu and activate whatever power/shout I have equipped.

Now this has not happened before the update to AE. I am using the STEP guide so is it one of the mods that is causing this?

It is not a major hassle that is preventing me from playing the game but it is an annoyance that becomes grating over time.

Edited by MrFF1990

Probably a limitation of default controller support for the game. I actually use a controller as well and have added "(PERSONAL) Improved Xbox Controller Scheme" to my own setup under Interface section. I use the 'Full' version with no customizations to it's config, and I don't have this issue. If you do customize the config, I suggest you add that to a new 'mod' just after this one in the left pane so that it isn't overwritten in case of update ... something like "(CONFIG) Improved Xbox Controller Scheme".

This is not in our mod list but it's an example of the kind of mod that is agnostic to and of the Step setup.

3 hours ago, z929669 said:

Probably a limitation of default controller support for the game. I actually use a controller as well and have added "(PERSONAL) Improved Xbox Controller Scheme" to my own setup under Interface section. I use the 'Full' version with no customizations to it's config, and I don't have this issue. If you do customize the config, I suggest you add that to a new 'mod' just after this one in the left pane so that it isn't overwritten in case of update ... something like "(CONFIG) Improved Xbox Controller Scheme".

This is not in our mod list but it's an example of the kind of mod that is agnostic to and of the Step setup.

Thank you for the reply.

I have added said controller scheme mod to my list and while I appreciate the extra options it provides, it did not solve the underlying problem: I still cannot use the back button to exit the items menu. Every other menu works but with the added nuisance of activating my equipped power when I exit out of the magic menu.

I have switched to keyboard and mouse to test several options and here it is no problem. Ergo it must be controller related. I will try several other possibilities like Steam controller settings and some mod options to see if I can resolve the issue.

EDIT: I have (temporarily?) resolved the problem by switching jump and shout/power around, mapping B to jump and X to shout/power instead of the vanilla B = shout/power and X = jump. This allows me to back out of every menu using the B button.

Edited by MrFF1990