Missing Water

MyHouseATL

Question

9 answers to this question

43 minutes ago, MyHouseATL said:

I have missing water here and there.  All in river beds.  Any idea how I can fix\track down the problem?  I'm using 2.98 and eFPS exterior boost.

DynDOLOD generates tree and object LOD. DynDOLOD does not generate water LOD. Water LOD is part of terrain LOD meshes.
DynDOLOD does not change water in active cells. What is the connection of the problem to DynDOLOD
If removing DynDOLOD or Occlusion plugin makes any difference, it means the plugins were generated for a different load order. Generate anew for the current load order.

eFPS is a mod that adds occlusion planes or boxes as reference that only load in active cells. It has zero overlap with LOD or occlusion generation. If removing eFPS makes a difference you are probably missing a patch. Why do you mention it?

I didn't have a problem before installing DynDOLOD and eFPS, which I installed at the same time.  I thought maybe one had the issue.  Sounds like I might have moved a plugin and didn't realize it.  I'll redo DynDOLOD and see if that fixes it.  It just takes so bloody long to gen a new one...

Can I update to 3.0 and gen a new one?  I guess I have to uninstall old one and then install 3.0?

Edited by MyHouseATL

1 hour ago, MyHouseATL said:

Reinstalled and still getting same areas where water is missing.

Edit:  Ok, strange thing.  I installed "Culling Data Glitch Fix", placed it below DynDOLOD and my water is back.  Any ideas?

Reinstalled what?

If removing the DynDOLOD / Occlusion plugins changes anything, then you have not generated DynDOLOD / Occlusion for the current load order.
These plugins are created by copying the winning worldspace/cell records from the highest plugin before them at generation time.

If removing DynDOLOD / Occlusion plugins does not change anything, then the last winning plugins for the worldspace / cell records are responsible.

A dumb plugin like Culling Data Glitch Fix contains the copied worldspace and cell records from the vanilla plugins with the TVDT occlusion data removed.
Hence it is incompatible with the load order as it reverse all cell records to vanilla in addition to the increased performance requirements because none of the occluded LOD is disabled anymore.

Check the affected cells and their water records in xEdit to find out which plugin changes/removes the water.

Ok, exact procedure I did:

Found area where water was missing near a building.  (Mixwater Mill,  near Windhelm)

Disabled DynDOLOD.  Entered building.  Checked to ensure still disabled. Quit game and removed DynDOLOD.  Entered game and saved.  Quit game.  Loaded new save.  Exited building and water still missing.  Returned to building, exited game.  Installed DynDOLOD, generated new LOD.  Reloaded save, exited building.  Still no water. So....

DynDOLOD say's: Cell 26,-3 Block 0, -1 Sub block 3,-1.

When I got to Skyrim.esm, Worldspace, Tamriel, Block 0, -1, Sub Block 3, -1.  MixwaterMillExterior. (26, -2)  All the water height on plugins is -13400.000000 except for 2.  They say "Default".  (Landscape Fixes for Grass mods and 3DTrees For Next Generation Forests) The last plugin say's -13400.000000.  Going to 26, 3 has the same result...

The only other thing with conflicts is Vetex Normals. VTXT Alfa layers.  Don't know what they are but I don't think it has anything to do with water...

XCWT is RiverWaterFlow [WATR:01001232] except for Skyrim.esm which is RiverWaterFlowNE [WATR:000E717C]. (USEEP change)

I am using Water for ENB and it doesn't change any of these records.

Would "Default" mess with the water?

Edit:  Changed "Defult to -13400.000000 FIXED IT!

I have several other places.  How do I find the Cell in SSEdit?  I need to find Cell -24,-6.

Edited by MyHouseATL

34 minutes ago, MyHouseATL said:

Ok, exact procedure I did:

Found area where water was missing near a building.  (Mixwater Mill,  near Windhelm)

Disabled DynDOLOD.  Entered building.  Checked to ensure still disabled. Quit game and removed DynDOLOD.  Entered game and saved.  Quit game.  Loaded new save.  Exited building and water still missing.  Returned to building, exited game.  Installed DynDOLOD, generated new LOD.  Reloaded save, exited building.  Still no water. So....

DynDOLOD say's: Cell 26,-3 Block 0, -1 Sub block 3,-1.

When I got to Skyrim.esm, Worldspace, Tamriel, Block 0, -1, Sub Block 3, -1.  MixwaterMillExterior. (26, -2)  All the water height on plugins is -13400.000000 except for 2.  They say "Default".  (Landscape Fixes for Grass mods and 3DTrees For Next Generation Forests) The last plugin say's -13400.000000.  Going to 26, 3 has the same result...

The only other thing with conflicts is Vetex Normals. VTXT Alfa layers.  Don't know what they are but I don't think it has anything to do with water...

XCWT is RiverWaterFlow [WATR:01001232] except for Skyrim.esm which is RiverWaterFlowNE [WATR:000E717C]. (USEEP change)

I am using Water for ENB and it doesn't change any of these records.

Would "Default" mess with the water?

Edit:  Changed "Defult to -13400.000000 didn't fix it.  I'm stumped. 

If the water is missing because of the last plugin to overwrite the CELL record, then that change is carried forward into the DynDOLOD, Occlusion plugin. if the problem happens without DynDOLOD being active, then this problem has nothing to do with DynDOLOD.

The last plugin to overwrite a record wins.  It is the culprit of whatever is happening. Obviously if it has the same data as the plugin before it, check plugins further to the left. Disable the listed plugins from right to left one by one to test until it works to know what plugin/changes cause the problem.

The CELL record also needs to have the "DATA - Flags / Has Water" checked.
If the XCLW -Water Height has the same value as Skyrim.esm/Update.esm, then the plane should still be visible at the same height and somehow under ground or way in the sky.
If the XCWT - Water record is changed it might be possible that the used water record is not working. Using the default linked water record from Update.esm or Skyrim.esm or another water record known to be working would be an appropriate test.

The LAND record for he CELL is irrelevant for water.

Thanks for helping me track this down.  I would never have figured it out.  "Default" can't be the overwriting record for water height.  I had multiple mods with Default for the water height.  I had to go to every Sub block in Skyrim.esm to ensure all Default was recorded with a height.  That completely fixed my problem.

1 hour ago, MyHouseATL said:

Thanks for helping me track this down.  I would never have figured it out.  "Default" can't be the overwriting record for water height.  I had multiple mods with Default for the water height.  I had to go to every Sub block in Skyrim.esm to ensure all Default was recorded with a height.  That completely fixed my problem.

Default should typically mean to use the water height from the worldspace record, whatever the last plugin sets it to.

If a plugin changes that height it changes it for every cell that uses default, I suppose.