Updating to Dawnguard and Dragonborn - How?

AsheRayne

Question

Ya'll have been really really helpful here at STEP.  With some guidance from a few people on here, and after 14 hours straight, I have modded my Skyrim to looking almost real.  I have every single mod installed and am using the highest quality settings I could, and it's simply phenomenal.  

That being said, I installed it all using the newest update to skyrim, and have Hearthfire already. I am lvl 36 in game, and have over 100 hours into it.  I would like to get dawnguard/dragonborn without having to start the game over again. I was lucky in that my current save games are stable with the step mods, but I'm worried that updating will cause issues, so, to my questions:

1) Do I have to spend another 14 hour day deleting all my mods, reinstalling skyrim and reinstalling all my step mods, or can I upgrade the game with no issue?

2) Can I use my current modded saves, since I'm only adding DLC but not modding anything else, or do I need to revert back to the previous save that I used as my start point for STEP?

Thank you again for all the help, I wanted to ask with about a week's notice before I purchase so I have time to work out any kinks on the forums here.  Thanks again!

*edit* I know that some may suggest "cleaning" the save, but an unrelated problem I have is that I cannot use BOSS for load order OR Tes5edit for cleaning. I followed step examples exactly, but for some reason, neither BOSS or TES5Edit see ANY of my mods. I've googled and searched till my fingers bled, and nothing seems to point to why. It's not an unregistered version, it's installed correctly, all the mods work great, but I can't edit the load order with boss because it only sees MAIN, UPDATE, HEARTFIRE, and 3 resolution esps. As I said, unrelated, but I have a feeling I'll need this sorted before I move on with my purchase.

13 answers to this question

What tool(s) did you use to install mods? TES5Edit uses the registry to automatically find the Skyrim Data Directory; if there is a problem with registry entries for Skyrim then it won't work. BOSS also uses the registry. What directory is your Skyrim installed in?

You shouldn't have to reinstall anything to add DLC's, but you might need to change some mods to versions that support the DLC you are using.

Sometimes the registry entry for Skyrim gets lost or corrupted, and this will cause both BOSS and TES5Edit to be unable to find Skyrim. It's fairly easy to fix. You need to go to the Skyrim directory and run the Skyrim launcher (not the SKSE launcher); this will install the proper registry key. When you run the launcher it will overwrite your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files, so if you feel these are already correct then save them and restore after the you exit the launcher. I'd strongly suggest you follow the steps in sections 1B and 1C in the STEP 2.2.1 guide unless you are certain these two files are already properly configured; even then it would be helpful to go through these steps anyway since something might have changed. If you have an AMD card there are some recent updates to the guidance that show the screens for the current version of the AMD configuration tool; you can find this in the list of guides.

Ty, that was somewhat succesful.  However, the process still does not allow TES5Edit to "see" the mods... when I run boss in MO, I followed the steps so I can run BOSS as an executable, and it works/sees the mods.  However, whenever I try the same for TES5, as soon as I click "ok" on the "executables" tab, TES5 does not appear in the dropdown list like BOSS does.

I have tes5edit in custom subdirectory below steamapps/common/skyrim, and it can be launched from MO w/o problems. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54954643/modorganizer.PNG It's sth really weird

Try installing TES5edit as a mod, find it in "data" tab, right click on it and select "add as executable"

I don't have much time as I've got to head to work, but I set mine up just like yours, with the executable pointing at tes5edit, and it still doesn't work through MO, wont even show up.  And outside of MO, it doesn't see the mods.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]2\binary=D:/Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/tes5edit/TES5Edit.exe[/font]
2\title=TES5Edit

2\arguments=-iknowwhatimdoing

2\workingDirectory=

2\closeOnStart=false

2\steamAppID=Change the path, the numbers at the start of each line and append that to the [customExecutables] section while MO isn't running. HTH

Oh, and change the size parameter to correct one