1024px vs. 2048px Graphics Mods

RangerElessar

Question

First time STEP user and installation is just gravy so far with Wrye Bash (I love this tool, patience is paying off). I'm currently installing the conflicting graphics mods and would appreciate some feedback. I'm having difficulty choosing between 1024px and 2048px versions of those mods with both options due to a few concerns...

The STEP Mandate says baseline mod selection (in this case the 1024px options) is recommended for "decent" (like mine?) but not "omnipotent" PCs and people who want to avoid stuttering as much as possible, which is definitely me--I've got AMD graphics hardware which can be slightly problematic at times so maintaining smooth frame rates and avoiding stuttering are high priority. BUT, these mod descriptions all recommend the higher res packs for people with 1.5+GB VRAM. So, essentially I'm curious about the performance differences between the two options. 

Are the official DLC textures not already all 2k resolution? Will these simply be overriding them, and if so are 1k textures a downgrade? 

Note: I chose not to get the official DLC optimized since the game is running flawlessly so far with the official High Res Textures DLC + Unofficial patch. 

Also, I'm a little concerned about immersion-breaking variance in texture quality. If I go with 2048 in one mod (i.e. a mod for landscapes), is it advisable to do the same with another mod (i.e. clutter and objects)?

My Hardware:

i5 2500k @ 4.0 GHz

8GB 1600MHz DDR3 

Vertex 3 SSD

MSI TF3 Radeon 7950 Boost Ed. (960MHz, 3GB VRAM)

5 answers to this question

With a card like that you should be able to use the 2048 textures without a problem. Even with 2GB of VRAM and all 2048 textures most users report not hitting their VRAM cap, so I think you're safe. That card and an SSD definitely puts you a step above Baseline.

As far as immersion, I've never seen a huge difference between the two, and the only place it would be noticable would be on large objects like the landscape and buildings. Going with 2048 for the big stuff and 1024 for the little stuff shouldn't look off, and on most objects I doubt you could tell the difference at all.

Initial testing: So with all 2k texture options on all STEP mods I typically experience smooth frame-rates but the stuttering is significantly increased. I have tried combinations of a few mods and texture resolutions with predictable outcomes (less stutter with lower resolutions, and even less with certain mods uninstalled).

I'm currently contemplating either a full 1024 implementation or an uninstall of certain mods and keeping the rest at 2k (I prefer smoother flowing visuals over instantaneous visual quality). I'm wondering if anyone can comment on, or share screenshots of STEP installations with 1k textures. How well do they integrate with the official DLC and does the texture resolution disparity present a problem with immersion?

Of course I'm about to find this out for myself but seeing screens or hearing feedback before hand can be reassuring or properly discouraging (in a useful way) when you consider the undertaking of re-downloading and installing all of these mods. Even with a mod manager.

I'm particularly interested in the benefits of modded 1024px textures vs. the official HRDLC which are 2048.

--With gratitude.

I have a full 1024 setup (1GB VRAM here) and I don't notice any major distinctions between the 2k and 1k textures, but if you do find some inconsistencies let us know where (with screenshots of course). I can't believe you're getting stuttering with all that VRAM, you should run some benchmarking tests and find out if your VRAM is really the bottleneck, although I can't imagine the others causing problems either, you have my rig beat in every aspect.

Thanks again for your comments Farlo. I'm concerned it might be hardware based, or rather driver based because between stuttering the frame-rate is spectacular. Totally, totally smooth, then I cross a bridge or something and blaaaa.

Like you say, perhaps it's time for some formal benchmarking.