Running xLODGen (or DynDOLOD, TexGen) without a set output folder in a VFS

FrozenStorm

Question

I'm following the STEP 1.0.0 guide for SSE and I'm currently on the LODGen step. However, I forgot to set the -o flag for the xLODGen executable, so it generated the files in the game folder (default behaviour). As expected this made the files appear in the Overwrite folder, which I then moved to a new mod in MO2.

However, both the STEP guide and this forum urge us not to use the default behaviour (i.e. generating in the game folder) for VFS-based mod managers (like MO2). What is the reason for this? Did I inadvertently overwrite some other files? Will I need to reinstall all the landscape & texture mods from STEP that could have an effect on LOD generation? I am currently verifying the vanilla files with Steam's "Verify integrity of local files" to ensure none of the vanilla files were overwritten.

I ask also because not having this restriction would significantly ease the workflow of these tools (especially with MO2's "Create files in mod instead of overwrite" feature in the executable setup) for future runs (whenever I add new LOD-altering mods, such as Elysium Estate for instance).

4 answers to this question

Instructions and guidelines exists because of common sense, basic modding practice and decades of experience supporting the tools and users troubleshooting their problems. A reason is even printed right under the output folder selection of TexGen/DynDOLOD Wizard.

LOD generation creates thousands of files as fast as possible.

MO only puts new files into the overwrite folder. It replaces existing files in their respective mod folders.

Trying to write into the data/virtual folder directly/indirectly consistently ends up with file read/write access issues, especially if the affected mod folders are currently enabled / files are being accessed by other tools or the mod manager itself while processing are running.

The virtual file system has consistently been overwhelmed and croaked, sometimes so bad that unrelated files were corrupted.

Avoid common and easily avoidable mistakes and issues by following the instructions.

Thanks.

I searched through the mods and no files in other mod folders seem to have been modified by the LODGen, and the Steam verification completed successfully. So I'll hold off on reinstalling things for the time being, but I've fixed the executable output flag now.