Feel Like I'm Missing an Easy Answer re: Render Distance

the_gneech

Question

I read through the manual looking for this, and I feel like there should be a box with this value in it somewhere, but I haven't figured out where. O.o

I get that Skyrim has a "near" range, "medium" range, and "far" range for choosing which models to load, but even with DynDOLOD set to "high," I'm still seeing grass materialize as I pass it instead of when it should start to be visible; and the trees modded into Whiterun don't appear until I'm literally in front of the town (since I left them out of the TextGen process).

So what I would like, is basically to double what is my "near" range. I don't care about being able to see every leaf in Whiterun from the Throat of the World, but when I am on the hills above Whiterun, I would like to see the trees in town and the grass around it.

Like I say, I feel like there is probably an obvious answer for this buried in jargon that is going over my head. But... it's going over my head. XD

How do I double my "nearby" rendering range, pls? Thanks!

1 answer to this question

The render distance of the game is about a 100 cells. There is no such thing as near, medium or far in the vanilla game. 

The LOD area starts beyond the loaded cells, the uGridsToLoad of 5x5 cells. The LOD area has up to 4 LOD levels. These things are explained in the DynDOLOD manual.

Normally, grass only renders inside these loaded cells. Use No Grass In Objects to extend grass beyond that limit or use it together with Grass LOD with DynDOLOD 3.0 Alpha.

If you want things like trees to have LOD, they require billboards (maybe 3D tree LOD models if you want better quality).

Edited by sheson