Cannot create 3D statics for Skyrim Flora Overhaul

Zeknapain

Question

Hello Sheson and many thanks for your work and continuous support.

I have a persisting issue when trying to get SFO to work with 3D ultra tree lod.
On the one hand, when I try to make a static lod model for any of the SFO trees using the emptypassthru_lod.nif, I get an error when copy-pasting branches saying "unknown block".
I have proper knowledge on how to make simple 3D static lods as I have succesfully done it for my own mod, Green and Lush Aspen trees and they work flawlessly for me and all users of the mod. I mention that to get basic explanations out of the way.
Now on the other hand, when I tried to use the 3D lods assets provided as of recently at SFO optional files (not made by the author), DynDOLOD does not recognise them even though they have the correct file name based on xEdit DynDOLOD script checksum name. 2 screenshots showing treepineforest01 as an example in the correct place with the correct name and DynDOLOD SSE log saying "3D lod not found, fallback billboard"

LESxYzy.pngqoEdbCI.png

I even tried to work on these hybrid statics provided at the mod page by removing the 2D trunk and pasting the original trunk branch, then re-saved them with the correct file name and still got the same results. Needless to say that of course in game they use billboards as their near lod4, as the log states.
Me and vurt could really use some help from the expert, on this problem.
Thanks in advance :)

4 answers to this question

You can not copy a block that from a NIF that is a newer version into a NIF that is an older version that does not support that block type yet.

The game should not be installed into the Program FIles x86 folder. Use a mod manager.

Check the log for error messages above the tree report.

Test with xEdit Asset (CTRL+F3) the files can be found and accessed in the load order by entering the filename into the filter field.

Replacing the 2D trunk with the full trunk can not fix file not found errors. It will only make the 3D model unoptimized.

Please, do not post screenshots of text. Post the entire log to pastebin instead.

Edited by sheson

"You can not copy a block that from a NIF that is a newer version into a NIF that is an older version that does not support that block type yet."
So SFO wich is a very old mod, has a newer nif type than the emptypassthru_lod? That seems counter intuitive but ok.

"The game should not be installed into the Program FIles x86 folder. Use a mod manager."

I use Vortex actually. Never had issues with the location of the game files and Vortex uses the virtual folder system.

"Please, do not post screenshots of text. Post the entire log to pastebin instead."

Sorry about that but pastebin has a limit of 512 KB for free users and my log is 2900 KB. Here is the part with the tree reports and almost everything above that part: https://pastebin.com/kfALU0Gv 

"Replacing the 2D trunk with the full trunk can not fix file not found errors. It will only make the 3D model unoptimized."

I know but I prefer this look, and I haven't noticed any drops in performance so far. I downscale the texture either way to save vram.  

"Test with xEdit Asset (CTRL+F3) the files can be found and accessed in the load order by entering the filename into the filter field."
Ok I did the search and I got this:

9ChYDNW.png

I'm not sure what should I do with that, but it shows that the file is where it's supposed to be. :/

Edited by Zeknapain

So SFO wich is a very old mod, has a newer nif type than the emptypassthru_lod? That seems counter intuitive but ok.

Skyrim vs Skyrim Special Edition. Check the header for the version. That is just NIF editing / NifSkope knowledge.

I use Vortex actually. Never had issues with the location of the game files and Vortex uses the virtual folder system.

It is common knowledge that Program Files x86 is a protected Windows folder and that UAC, antivir and other crapware typically block access to files. I suggest to setup the game properly according to any modding guide.

Sorry about that but pastebin has a limit of 512 KB for free users and my log is 2900 KB. Here is the part with the tree reports and almost everything above that part: https://pastebin.com/kfALU0Gv

The log is appended to every time DynDOLOD is run. Delete the file before running DynDOLOD or truncate from the start "DynDOLOD based on xEdit x64 (xxxxxx) starting session ..." to the end of the last generation.

The log you posted shows that meshes\dyndolod\lod\trees\treepineforest01_c04fc3aepassthru_lod.nif is found and used for LOD4 for TreePineForest01.

TreePineForest01 [TREE:0001306D] meshes\landscape\trees\treepineforest01.nif
	Billboard found, 3D LOD found 
	LOD4: meshes\dyndolod\lod\trees\treepineforest01_c04fc3aepassthru_lod.nif
	LOD8: textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforest01_0001306d.dds using internal
	LOD16: textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforest01_0001306d.dds using internal

I know but I prefer this look, and I haven't noticed any drops in performance so far. I downscale the texture either way to save vram.

Have a look at ..\DynDOLOD\Docs\trees.ultra\tools\DynDOLOD_CreateStaticTree.html, there is typically no need to make special textures. The full textures are shrunk and put on the atlas automatically.

Also have a look at DynDOLOD 3 Alpha and ..\DynDOLOD\docs\trees.ultra\tools\hybrids\DynDOLOD_CreateHybrid.html for automatic and better trunk texture generation with TexGen and easier hybrid 3D model generation.

Ok I did the search and I got this:

I'm not sure what should I do with that, but it shows that the file is where it's supposed to be. :/

DynDOLOD is the advanced version of xLODGen, which is a renamed xEdit. If xEdit can see/read a file in the load order, so should be xLODGen and DynDOLOD. If DynDOLOD can not "see" the file it is either not there or it is being blocked by UAC, antivir, other crapware.

Ok I look like a complete moron now, and I'm not lol.
So now it decided to work. I copied the meshes manually into the game files and now it's all good.
But I have in game screenshots as proof that it didn't work the first time :P 
Maybe I just need to change directory for the game files.

Anyway thanks for your insights on everything and sorry for being brain afk. :)