game CTD approaching TelMithryn exterior

exploiteddna

Question

based on my experience troubleshooting mods and conflicts and crashes, my gut feeling is that this CTD is being caused by a mesh error. Although I have no hard evidence to back that up right now.

if i disable the newly generated dyndolod esp plugin, no more CTD

Background: I was regenerating my DynDOLOD last night to add Enhanced Vanilla Trees to my game, and also increase the darkness level. After properly updating the generated textures and then generating worlds LOD, I tried fast travel to TelMithryn and immediate CTD. If I try to fast travel to the nearby Sun Stone (or whatever its called where the workers are under miraak's control).. if i try fast travel to there, immediate CTD

As part of my troubleshooting, I took a series of screenshots of the DynDOLOD info in MCM (using the backup of my previous DynDOLOD files).. So I know at least some of the cells that seem to be problematic.. but I'd really need to look at the cell grid map of solstheim to specifically say which cells are affected. I also tried to manually edit the dyndolod plugin, deleting chunks of it and then retrying in-game, hoping to find the offending record.. but this didnt work out very well.. 

Ive tried reading the dyndolod logs, but i just dont see anything useful in there 

I can of course just go back to using my previous dyndolod setup, but id really like to know why this generation is causing problems. Ive tried to re-generate from scratch several times.. even tried changing some of the settings (disabling things like fx glow) to see if that made a difference, but so far I have found nothing.

Honestly, Im just not really sure of the most efficient use of my time to troubleshoot this issue, and maybe someone can suggest a better way to try and find the culprit. Like i said, im almost certain its a bad mesh of some sort.. but i could def be wrong

You could say "oh, well since you were regenerating LOD because enhanced van trees, maybe you should check that mod" and of course that might be right. however, i havent regenerated my LOD in many months, so there have been many other changes to my mesh/textures/plugins since then.. so the culprit could be any number of things. However, I may try regenerating without EVT and see how that goes.

Im trying to paste my dyndolod log for you but hastebin and pastebin wont accept it bc its too long. Ill try to get the logs posted some other way

Some notes: 

3 answers to this question

Log files are appended to. Truncate them to last generations. Or zip the files and use a file service. Unless they have warnings or errors, a problematic 3rd party mesh is not going to be noticed.

However, read the FAQ answer for CTD and then readme how to troubleshoot for problematic meshes.

What does "this didnt work out very well" mean for removing records? I explained the steps how and what references to remove from the plugin in a binary search on similar posts in the past in case the steps in the readme didn't reveal anything. It is straight forward and reasonable quick.

Edited by sheson

https://www.dropbox.com/s/53sqx7mjh3ts0fx/Logs.7z?dl=1

"this didnt work out very well" just meant that its a complicated plugin and I couldnt easily find references directly related to Cells that im getting ctd in.. there were a ton of placed object activators but im not gonna remove those. and most of the base object overrides in the plugin are simple edits like marking 'has distant lod' flag so i didnt see that would be very useful to revert or delete those changes. 

I just tried to regenerate without EVT-SSE and still crash. One thing interesting i notice when i compare the thw newly generated plugin to the backup plugin that is working, the working dyndolod plugin has majesticmountains.esp as a master but  new one does not.. even though MM is still installed and in the same load order position. could be irrelevant, but im just trying to find whats different

ok i found it

pretty sure its my own mod lol.. ooops i forgot to clear those records out of the stable release.. from my working dev plugin.. crap. Maybe thats not the reason but i suspect it is. "missing model" will cause ctd soo... like i said from the start, i had a feeling it was a mesh problem

so my problem was that I was only looking in the "bugreport.txt" instead of the log.. i thought errors went into the bugreport thing.. but thats probably only for dyndolod exceptions.. 

I havent confirmed yet that those 4 missing meshes were the cause but im regenerating now.. so well see