Can DynDOLOD assign LOD to an Activator?

LeanWolf

Question

I got tired of being unable to see my Snow Elf Wayshrines in the distance so I made a LOD mesh for the raised wayshrine. I was pleased with the result, until I remembered that the wayshrine is an activator, and activators can't be assigned LOD meshes in xEdit or the CK. No problem I thought, DydnDOLOD should be able to cover this! So I made a mesh rule for SERuinsWaygate01.nif and called the LOD mesh SERuinsWaygate01_LOD.nif - but alas, it didn't work.

So is it somehow possible to assign LOD meshes to an activator, and if not, is there a workaround?

3 answers to this question

Of course DynDOLOD can add either static object or dynamic LOD for activators. This and the LOD filename convention for automatic LOD model to full model assignment is explained in DynDOLOD_Mod_Authors.html.

However, seruinswaygate01.nif is not only used by an activator base record, but the mesh also has a triggered animation. As such it has two states like a door or a destructible, since it can be either closed or open.

Unfortunately it is neither a door and doesn't use destructible stages. So, instead of making things overly complicated with Dawnguard (or SWIFT) and somehow try to sync the state to either an open or closed LOD model, DynDOLOD includes rules for seruinswaygate01.nif that set the full model to have the IsFullLOD flag set.

For those rules to work properly, there should not be a LOD model in the load order. If SWIFT is not installed, the rule is only applied for medium and high presets.

Nothing needed to be done. DynDOLOD already takes care of LOD for the wayshrines out of the box. Remove the LOD model from the load order and just generate LOD. 

Did I do something wrong then? Because as I said in my post, I made the LOD mesh with the exact same name with _LOD at the end, and I made a rule for it, but it does not appear in the generated LODs.

I've always run DynDO with the High rule set, but there has never been any LOD for the wayshrines visible in game or on the map, in the Forgoten Vale or using SWIFT. Are you sure about this? I can see no entry for seruinswaygate01.nif in the rules (besides the one I just added).

Even if the you have set it to FullLOD and for whatever reason it's not visible in my game, I'd prefer to use my LOD mesh as I've already discovered all the shrines so I don't care about unopened shrines not matching the LOD.

Can the problem be that I don't generate dynamic LOD?

Edited by LeanWolf

Dynamic objects require dynamic LOD. More importantly, always install and enable the DynDOLOD plugins for LOD to work correctly. Read the manual and follow the instructions.

The rule is added when clicking medium, high and Dawnguard.esm is in the load order. The rule is added when clicking low, medium, high and wayshrinesift.esp is in the load order.

If you are intent to have wrong LOD, remove all rules that target the NIF, so automatic assignment works. Add _0, _1 or _2 to the filename to define the maximum LOD level as explained in the manual.