Sign in to follow this  
ex0_tekk

Very high CPU temps with High Occlusion setting?

Question

Hi, i've noticed as im generating LodGEN , TexGen and DynDOLOD i get normal CPU temps, but holy hell that Occlusion roasts my 3800x processor if i use the "High" setting, it also takes an UnGodly amount of time to complete....haha, is it just a heavy cpu process or does occlusion process need optimization?... and why on earth does it take SO MUCH longer then just level 2?

2 answers to this question

From Skyrim-Occlusion-Readme.txt

Quality - samples per cell. The more samples are used the more distant cells are potentially disabled. Generally use 2 for a quick update. Use 3 if time permits - it typically results in a few more areas that are disabled. Total time depends on selected mode (number of cells that need to be updated) and hardware. Quality 2 is reasonable quick with a large worldspace may be taking a minute or two. Quality 3 can easily be a couple magnitudes slower than quality 2. It may have to compare up to 256 (16 x 16) samples between two cells instead of 16 (4 x 4).

Each cell gets its own thread and the calculations are a tight loop perfect for multi threading 

interesting, i'll just stick to level 2 then (Solstheim takes Especially long to finish on level 3), if it makes little difference on performance in the game, as waiting for almost 3 hours for "a few more areas that are disabled" is not worth the time sink, thanks for the clarification.

Edited by ex0_tekk